LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need to quiet the car, badly!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 07:41 PM

Re: Need to quiet the car, badly!

Go with the 2OTL they sound great and they are a lot quiter than most cat backs. Also dynomax makes a catback that is a 3" system I think you can get it through jc whitney for somewhere around $134. Dynomax systems flow really well and are pretty quiet too. Dynatech makes collector inserts that also reduce exhaust noise by a few db without hurting performance, Jegs sells them possibly one of our sponsors does too.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:56 PM

I'm in the same boat, I wanted an aggressively modded car but didn't want to wake up the neighbors when I start her up in the morning. I've been real happy with my setup--Jet-Hot LT's w/ dynatech cones, ORP, Borla w/DMH cutout. I got my Borla used for $350 shipped, looked almost new. Without a cat, the Borla did pop and crackle a lot, but the cones took almost all that away. The best thing about the setup is the DMH (sponsor of this board). At a flick of the switch I can button up the Borla--at low throttle sounds a little louder than stock (but even closed it'll scream @ WOT). Usually I cruise with it 1/3 open which gives it a deeper tone, then if I see a friendly cop, or am driving through town I close it up--never have had a problem....
Old 05-23-2005, 09:09 PM

I just got flowmasters cat-back. It isn't a whole lot louder from the stock system at idle and cruising but when you get on it, it should satisfy most peoples needs to make some noise. This is with a gutted cat also. One thing to note though is that the system I have is a singe exit using a 30-series muffler, unlike the system most people end up using that includes the 80-series crossflow muffler and two exits.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:11 PM

Honestly just go find a used back section for a SLP dual dual or similar, prolly be prety cheap. If you wanted to really quiet it down, go find the back section of a stock cat back and reuse your tips.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
Does anyone run the SLP 2OTL? . I ran a search and came up with that and a magna flow. Both were said to be being quiet(er).
I have the same setup as you.. Hooker LTs, no cats and 2OTL. It really sounds very nice if you ask me despite how goofy the system looks. If you want serious noise dampening ability then go with the SLP dual/dual. I had that for a while and well it was TOO quiet.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Magnaflow cat back. Quiet tone at idle, but screams at WOT. There is a sound clip on the Magnaflow website from a LS1 camaro. Also, check out www.ls1sounds.com there is a lot of sounds of many different exhaust systems from both, LT1 and LS1 camaro's.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
I have the same setup as you.. Hooker LTs, no cats and 2OTL. It really sounds very nice if you ask me despite how goofy the system looks. If you want serious noise dampening ability then go with the SLP dual/dual. I had that for a while and well it was TOO quiet.
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning a bit towards the 20 tl. Got any info on it?. Does slp even sell it still? I am assuming it is a dual out the back of the car. I refuse to put the stock system back on. Way too restrictive.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:40 PM

I'm in the same boat right now - same exact exhaust setup and it's way too loud. I have some vids of the car on my page if you want to hear the loudmouth with no cats and LT's.

Personally I have a buddy that is going to ditch his Flowmaster - i'm just going to put it on the Loudmouth in the back.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by 95RagtopTA
I'm in the same boat, I wanted an aggressively modded car but didn't want to wake up the neighbors when I start her up in the morning. I've been real happy with my setup--Jet-Hot LT's w/ dynatech cones, ORP, Borla w/DMH cutout. I got my Borla used for $350 shipped, looked almost new. Without a cat, the Borla did pop and crackle a lot, but the cones took almost all that away. The best thing about the setup is the DMH (sponsor of this board). At a flick of the switch I can button up the Borla--at low throttle sounds a little louder than stock (but even closed it'll scream @ WOT). Usually I cruise with it 1/3 open which gives it a deeper tone, then if I see a friendly cop, or am driving through town I close it up--never have had a problem....
How do the cones mount in the exhaust. Do they have a slight flange on them and bolt between the header collector flange and y pipe flange? I would certainly be interested in that along with getting rid of the slp Loudmouth in favor of the slp 20tl system.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
Thanks for the replies. I was leaning a bit towards the 20 tl. Got any info on it?. Does slp even sell it still? I am assuming it is a dual out the back of the car. I refuse to put the stock system back on. Way too restrictive.
I replied to your email regarding the 2OTL. "Two on the left"-that should tell you how many pipes and where they are.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:56 PM

The cones weld inside your exhaust.