LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Need Some Help

Just bought a 94 Camaro z28 , it currently has a moroso cold air kit, ported throttle body, edelbrock shorty headers, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, flowmaster, and Vigilante torque converter from Precision Industries, 2800 stall. The gears are stock, 3.23 ratio. Best time was 13.49 on the 1/4. Any ideas on performance parts I could get that can help drop the 1/4 time in the 12s. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Re: Need Some Help

3:73 gears alone will knock at least a half second off your times. Drag radials.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:10 AM

Any other ideas apart from the 373 gears and the drag radials?
Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Us members need some more info. from your timeslip.What is your 60ft/trap speed,altitude,etc.?You can see my sig. below.Btw i was also trying for the 12,s but when i calculated for altitude i was already there so i,ve decided that i,m going to go back to Madz28 perf. tuning & bored out stk. 52 mm tb & leave it at that.The mods that were needed to take that next level was too steep pricewise& drivability would be affected.Eg.3.73 gears/heads/cam,etc.Hope this helps & welcome to the board.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator

moroso cold air kit - excellent first mod

ported throttle body - do you mean a stock throttle body that has been opened up to 52mm?

edelbrock shorty headers - Shorties, in general, provide smaller performance gains that mid-length, or long tube headers

adjustable fuel pressure regulator - Do not adjust the fuel pressure, unless you have a very good reason to do so. You can really mess up the A/F ratio. You can NOT tune using an AFPR. The only thing it is good for is "upsizing" injectors that are too small, and even then requires programming. Make sure the fuel pressure is as close as possible to 43.5psi with the vacuum compensation line off the regulator

flowmaster - Flowmaster muffler (limited benefits) or a full Flowmaster 3" cat-back (greater benefits). Which "series" Flowmaster is it? Some of them are not the best available, in the opinions of some people.

Consider:
-a full catback, if you don't have one already.
-or, upgrade to long tubes and true duals
-or a cutout, if you like that sort of noise
-1.6X full roller rockers
-mail-order PCM tune
-suspension improvements, including LCA's and LCA relocation brackets, possibly a panhard rod.

If you haven't already done so, check the condition of the spark plugs, wires, coil and IC module. Have the PCM scanned for codes. Change out all the fluids and filters.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 PM

I agree w/ Injuneer.Some 1.6 Comp #1418 rr,& to maximize what you have.Btw that checking that coil,etc. is also good as my Msd coil seemed to be ok.& then it died for no reason!
Old 02-02-2011, 01:03 PM

The throttle body is just ported lightly to make the entrance smoother and avoid unnecessary turbulence. Should I purchase a performance throttle body or leave it at that?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Z-28
The throttle body is just ported lightly to make the entrance smoother and avoid unnecessary turbulence. Should I purchase a performance throttle body or leave it at that?
If you want to throw away around $300 for one then go ahead.Yrs. ago i had a BBK 52 mm& i lost some drivability b/c the throttle linkage was tighter& my car back then, didn,t have the mods that it does now so it was a waste of money.You can go to Ebay & find reputable sellers that offer bored out stk 48 mm tb-52 mm.That way the stk.linkage is used.Btw, since you have a auto you have to get the pcm programmed for the bigger tb & while there you can get a perf. tune done as well.Also more info.would help us to give you where to get the most bang for the buck.