LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 06:10 PM

in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

ok im a younger guy and i've had my 95 camaro and had it stock long enough, im not wanting to build a monster out of it but just wanna add maybe another 50+ horsepower or so... without drastically killing my mpg. so far i have a k&N CAI... everything else is all stock ac delco products... i'd prefer not digging too deep in the motor just yet as i'd love to learn more before i turn my motor into a frankenstien project lol

anyone with some quick and wise ideas please feel free to help a younger national guard guy out. thanks a bunch

EDIT: the good thing is i work at a gm dealership (bellamy strickland in ga) and im almost spitting distance from a summit racing store so i shouldnt have to order anything online unless its maybe a tuner program or something
Old 05-10-2011, 06:36 PM

Re: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

you could get Long tube headers to go with that exhaust that will give you some HP not much but some. look at my sig i got all the boltons you could go off that if you like. nothing done to the motor internally except for the cam
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Exhaust would be next. Headers and a catback.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:44 PM

You could do a good head and cam setup also. Yea cam is digging into the engine but not to much.

www.advancedinduction.com does CNC port jobs and a cam to match the heads for i wanna say $1900? RamAir can chime in on there products as he has them himself and loves them.

Or you could go with lloyd Elliotts porting and he can match a cam also for cheaper but his is hand ported. elliottsportworks.com that is Lloyds website link. if you do a head and cam swap you will have to get new valvetrain hardware to go with it for instance springs, pushrods and so forth depending on how mild or aggressive you go. you can call both and they can pick a nice setup for you just tell them what you would like to get out of it.

That option could get you the horsepower you are looking for.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 AM

Try bolt-ons like exhaust as others have mentioned.
When my car was just headers, catback and intake parts it was still pretty fast. A mail order tune is another cheap route that can help. Changing your gear ratios in your rear-end would help make it a lot quicker. Not something to do if you're not comfortable with it though.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 AM

Put some cash into the suspension before the motor IMO. 16 year old bushings and stamped steel parts don't make for a fast or well handling car.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jon_Esslinger
Try bolt-ons like exhaust as others have mentioned.
When my car was just headers, catback and intake parts it was still pretty fast. A mail order tune is another cheap route that can help. Changing your gear ratios in your rear-end would help make it a lot quicker. Not something to do if you're not comfortable with it though.
how do those mail order tunes work??? do i just mail em my car's computer and they do their thing or what?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lilatlboy6969
how do those mail order tunes work??? do i just mail em my car's computer and they do their thing or what?
There are two ways to do it:

PCM exchange - you send them yours, they send a new one back (not necessarily the same PCM to keep down time to a minimum).

Self-loading - they send you the PCM file and you load it yourself using free loading software and a low-cost (~$50) interface cable. This comes with several advantages in itself and would be the method I would recommend.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
There are two ways to do it:

PCM exchange - you send them yours, they send a new one back (not necessarily the same PCM to keep down time to a minimum).

Self-loading - they send you the PCM file and you load it yourself using free loading software and a low-cost (~$50) interface cable. This comes with several advantages in itself and would be the method I would recommend.
i think i'd rather do the self loading as to now i need to find the cable and i guess a programmer... or do i just use my laptop to load the file into my car
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 AM

i think i'd rather do the self loading as to now i need to find the cable and i guess a programmer... or do i just use my laptop to load the file into my car
www.akmcables.com sells interface cables. I've been using mine for 10 years now.

The tune is loaded via computer/laptop through USB - no programmer necessary.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:12 AM

www.akmcables.com sells interface cables. I've been using mine for 10 years now.

The tune is loaded via computer/laptop through USB - no programmer necessary.
thanks i have been checking that web site out... do i need any kind of program on my computer to use this cable?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM

thanks i have been checking that web site out... do i need any kind of program on my computer to use this cable?
PCMforless.com will supply the program you need to load the tune.

Also, you might want to check out Datamaster (www.ttspowersystems.com). It's a very powerful, invaluable diagnostic aid.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM

PCMforless.com will supply the program you need to load the tune.

Also, you might want to check out Datamaster (www.ttspowersystems.com). It's a very powerful, invaluable diagnostic aid.
ok i downloaded and installed datamaster on my laptop, now all i need is the cable so i can start scaning and stuff. thanks a bunch. i guess this thread will be done until i get done with my tour in iraq to where i have more time to put hands on this situation. thanks to everyone who helped me out
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Old 05-11-2011, 10:59 AM

The programmer/PCM tune isn't really necessary or worth the money at this point. Once you get some more modification onto the car, then it becomes worth the $$ and necessary.

Where you're at right now I'd go:

1) Suspension; New polyurethane bushing kit for the front; Aftermarket PHR (Panhard Rod) & LCAs (Lower Control Arms) [I like the UMI or BMR products]; and a set of SFCs (Sub-Frame Connectors, weld-in style); Poly-Sway Bar mounts.

2) If it's a M6, then get a shifter (I'm a Pro-5.0 user, and love it); if it's an automatic, get a shift kit.

3) Long-tube headers & Y-pipe

4) Cam Swap (CC 306 or 503)/1.6 Roller Rockers (This is when you need the PCM tune)

This should yield you what you're looking for, and will make your car not only perform better from the motor, but handling wise as well. Plus everything is easy to put on except the sub-frame connectors.

For those; Talk with one of the mechanics, or my personal favorite, the body guys who do the heavy-collision repairs. If you can talk them into it, and get clearance at work. See if you can have them put your car onto the body rack, check it for straightness, and then weld the sub-frames in. I had this done to my car. It's WAY beyond the way most people do it, and what you need to do; but if you have the facilities, and someone who knows what they're doing with a body rack, it's the BEST way to do it. If they can't put it on the rack, I'd still see if they'd be willing to put them on and teach you what they're doing while they're doing it.

Quick Reply: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1