Re: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

Originally Posted by YZF
Just some reference:

My car makes 45hp and 47tq more than it did completely stock and I have:

CAI
Long tubes
3" ORY through a dynomax bullet with a dump
Tune

It doesnt take much at all to open these cars up.

You could do an electric water pump. I have no proof of how much power but Ive heard anywhere from 5-10hp.

If you're looking for a ~50hp gain, there is no need to head/cam swap it.
Yes.ThankYou.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 AM

P.S.I see Telstars are on sale a Centerline direct for $199 each.It's a lighter wheel than stock.16inch.Hope this helps.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by YZF
Just some reference:

My car makes 45hp and 47tq more than it did completely stock and I have:

CAI
Long tubes
3" ORY through a dynomax bullet with a dump
Tune

It doesnt take much at all to open these cars up.

You could do an electric water pump. I have no proof of how much power but Ive heard anywhere from 5-10hp.

If you're looking for a ~50hp gain, there is no need to head/cam swap it.
wouldnt a tune mess with me passing emissions?? i live in GA.

also what kind of rear end does a stock 95z carry? i couldnt find it out anywhere and i dont know much by just looking at it. not to mention im in iraq atm so i cant just take a glance
Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
P.S.I see Telstars are on sale a Centerline direct for $199 each.It's a lighter wheel than stock.16inch.Hope this helps.
only way im changing wheels is if i can get a set of vette wheels for cheap.. i dont care about dropping weight just want more torque/hp.. i dont race it
Old 06-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lilatlboy6969
wouldnt a tune mess with me passing emissions?? i live in GA.

also what kind of rear end does a stock 95z carry? i couldnt find it out anywhere and i dont know much by just looking at it. not to mention im in iraq atm so i cant just take a glance
The tune for a stock cam generally alters WOT parameters. They don't test emissions at WOT.

The 4th Gen F-Bodys have a fairly weak 7.5/7.625" 10-bolt, with a limited slip diff (standard on V8's only). Your automatic trans LT1 can have either a 2.73 rear axle ratio, if it got the base rear for the automatics. That will show as GU2 on the build code tag. Your gear selector will start with "2". If the car was ordered with the "performance rear axle package" it will have 3.23's (GU5) and the gear selector will start with "1".
Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM

i got the base model rear end then.. what can i do to upgrade it just a little bit? i dont know much about rearends at all
Old 06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Going to higher numerical gears will make is faster off the lights. Makes it feel like you've increased rear wheel torque (3.23 = 18% more, 3.42 = 25%, 3.73 = 37%). Downside is lower fuel mileage, engine reaches redline at lower MPH in each gear. PCM will also have to be tuned for the new gear ratio.

As far as strengthening the stock 10-bolt, there's really nothing you can do. But with a stock or near-stock engine, and an automatic trans, you probably won't break anything.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Going to higher numerical gears will make is faster off the lights. Makes it feel like you've increased rear wheel torque (3.23 = 18% more, 3.42 = 25%, 3.73 = 37%). Downside is lower fuel mileage, engine reaches redline at lower MPH in each gear. PCM will also have to be tuned for the new gear ratio.

As far as strengthening the stock 10-bolt, there's really nothing you can do. But with a stock or near-stock engine, and an automatic trans, you probably won't break anything.
if i pulled the performance rear end off a another camaro and put it on mine would i have to alter anything? or is there any real big difference or should i just leave the rear end alone since im not going to be building a drag car... just keeping it as a weekend toy to have fun in.. i just wanna add some hp to it and make sure its not gonna kill any of the other stock parts... just a few upgrades in the suspension motor and tranny and i plan on leaving it alone after fixing the small things that go wrong with it due to time and mileage
Old 06-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Administrator

The only difference with the "performance rear axle package" is the gear ratio. The axle assembly is still the 7.5/7.625" 10-bolt. If you swapped your 2.73's for new 3.23 gears, or your rear axle assembly for a rear axle with 3.23 gears, you would definitely feel an improvement in acceleration.... like you added 18% more torque at the rear wheels.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 AM

ok well the time is coming up and coming fast.. im roughly a month away from being at home and shortly capable of doing some work... i think imma go with the suspension stuff first... whats a good order to do it in as i wont be able to buy all of that stuff in one sitting.. i was thinking the bushings and stuff would be cheapest/easiest to start with... im open minded to anyone else's ideas on a good route to start this thing off.

once again i highly appreciate everyone's help and advise
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 AM

ok well the time is coming up and coming fast.. im roughly a month away from being at home and shortly capable of doing some work... i think imma go with the suspension stuff first... whats a good order to do it in as i wont be able to buy all of that stuff in one sitting.. i was thinking the bushings and stuff would be cheapest/easiest to start with... im open minded to anyone else's ideas on a good route to start this thing off.

once again i highly appreciate everyone's help and advise
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...&productid=341

thats the bmr suspension package i found that seems to fit what im interested in... since i wont do any serious racing with it other than on the insterstate with a few friends and we wont be doing 130+ or strip racing it seems to fit daily driving as well. could i get any pointers on this setup for my 95 sexy lady???

Last edited by Lilatlboy6969; 10-21-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Since you've switched the topic to "suspension", you might want to start a new topic on the "Supsension, Chassis and Brakes" forum.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Since you've switched the topic to "suspension", you might want to start a new topic on the "Supsension, Chassis and Brakes" forum.
roger that
Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 AM

if i was to change my ignition, coil, and opti over to MSD would that add any horsepower or torque?? i just started looking at the MSD stuff and noticed everything besides the distributer is pretty cheap compared to some other stuff and seems quite easy to install
Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 AM

if i was to change my ignition, coil, and opti over to MSD would that add any horsepower or torque?? i just started looking at the MSD stuff and noticed everything besides the distributer is pretty cheap compared to some other stuff and seems quite easy to install
Not only would it not add any HP, but stock components have been shown to be far more reliable than anything MSD puts out.

FWIW my 455whp T/A uses nothing but stock, unaltered ignition components (minus an MSD coil I got 8 years ago because I lost my stock one).

Quick Reply: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1