LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:40 AM

Re: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Not only would it not add any HP, but stock components have been shown to be far more reliable than anything MSD puts out.

FWIW my 455whp T/A uses nothing but stock, unaltered ignition components (minus an MSD coil I got 8 years ago because I lost my stock one).
thanks for that info...

whats the y pipe everyone keeps talking about that i can put on my car??? wouldnt my flowmaster exhaust come with all that already (i dont know everything about it strickly because im not the person that had it installed)

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
The programmer/PCM tune isn't really necessary or worth the money at this point. Once you get some more modification onto the car, then it becomes worth the $$ and necessary.

Where you're at right now I'd go:

1) Suspension; New polyurethane bushing kit for the front; Aftermarket PHR (Panhard Rod) & LCAs (Lower Control Arms) [I like the UMI or BMR products]; and a set of SFCs (Sub-Frame Connectors, weld-in style); Poly-Sway Bar mounts.

2) If it's a M6, then get a shifter (I'm a Pro-5.0 user, and love it); if it's an automatic, get a shift kit.

3) Long-tube headers & Y-pipe

4) Cam Swap (CC 306 or 503)/1.6 Roller Rockers (This is when you need the PCM tune)

This should yield you what you're looking for, and will make your car not only perform better from the motor, but handling wise as well. Plus everything is easy to put on except the sub-frame connectors.

For those; Talk with one of the mechanics, or my personal favorite, the body guys who do the heavy-collision repairs. If you can talk them into it, and get clearance at work. See if you can have them put your car onto the body rack, check it for straightness, and then weld the sub-frames in. I had this done to my car. It's WAY beyond the way most people do it, and what you need to do; but if you have the facilities, and someone who knows what they're doing with a body rack, it's the BEST way to do it. If they can't put it on the rack, I'd still see if they'd be willing to put them on and teach you what they're doing while they're doing it.
thats the post im interested in... other than the suspension bmr package i found the y pipe and headers are all im concerned on right now because i already have the flowmaster dual exhaust

Last edited by Lilatlboy6969; 10-22-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:48 AM

If you just have a catback system that does not replace the y-pipe...only from the cat back (of course).

I don't know who "everyone" is, but 99% of the folks who eliminate the OEM y-pipe do so because they are adding headers which include their own y-pipe. Replacing the OEM y-pipe when keeping the stock manifolds is hardly worth the effort.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:54 AM

If you just have a catback system that does not replace the y-pipe...only from the cat back (of course).

I don't know who "everyone" is, but 99% of the folks who eliminate the OEM y-pipe do so because they are adding headers which include their own y-pipe. Replacing the OEM y-pipe when keeping the stock manifolds is hardly worth the effort.
oh ok.. now i understand thanks man. sorry for sounding stupid
Old 10-22-2011, 06:00 AM

Don't sweat it.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:13 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2064HKR/?rtype=10

these look like they would be killer on my ride
Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 AM

If emissions and mild HP gains are what you're most interested in, they will work. You wouldn't catch me putting a set of shorties on my car, ever, nor would I recommend it.

However for HP and lack of emissions concern you simply cannot beat a set of long tubes.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:33 AM

If emissions and mild HP gains are what you're most interested in, they will work. You wouldn't catch me putting a set of shorties on my car, ever, nor would I recommend it.

However for HP and lack of emissions concern you simply cannot beat a set of long tubes.
well damn im in a loose/loose situation.. guess i'll do some homework and see if there's some decent priced headers that wont effect my emissions if thats even possible

EDIT: im assuming long tubes wont make my emissions worse

Last edited by Lilatlboy6969; 10-22-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 AM

The exhaust gas is the same whether or not you have manifolds. long tubes, or short tubes. It's the visual inspection you'd need to worry about since long tubes relocate the stock cat. All aftermarket headers are available with or without emissions hookups.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:28 AM

I know on the b-bodies the SLP shorties were used on some of the fastest bolton cars. Yeah shorties are a compromise but if you buy good ones they do offer gains.

Just don't buy something like the Edelbrock/BBk. I know for the b-bodies the Hookers are designed just stupid coming way up before going down causing massive heat issues and them to be called cooker headers
Old 10-22-2011, 07:29 AM

The exhaust gas is the same whether or not you have manifolds. long tubes, or short tubes. It's the visual inspection you'd need to worry about since long tubes relocate the stock cat. All aftermarket headers are available with or without emissions hookups.
oh if its just visual i think im good on passing in GA as all the techs i know and work with wouldnt bother to care about any of that as long as i still had a cat. on my car i'd be good
Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 AM

i got a set of hooker lts and cat back for sale soot me a offer!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by FASTA**z28
i got a set of hooker lts and cat back for sale soot me a offer!!!
i already got a cat back exhaust (flowmasters) trying to find some headers that will bolt straight on to the stock motor and work along with my flowmasters without much of a problem (i dont do good with metal working)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator

The AS&M mid-lengths will bolt to your stock (or aftermarket) catback. They list them as "long tubes", but they aren't.

http://www.azspeed-marine.com/as19lt1flotu.html

I run them and they make great power up to about 800HP. But my drivers side header has been altered to allow me to run true duals, rather then the Y-pipe.

The Hooker headers you linked are for "dual-cat" LT1's. That would apply to 95 A4's with CA emissions, and all 96 and 97's. Unless your 95 was originally sold in CA (look at the build code tag for RPO "YF5") it left the factory with a single-cat exhaust. Makes a big difference. The dual-cat shorties are even worse than the single-cat shorties.

I had the JBA shorties on my Formula back when it was still fairly new, and they were terrible. Great at low RPM, but totally choked the engine at high RPM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The AS&M mid-lengths will bolt to your stock (or aftermarket) catback. They list them as "long tubes", but they aren't.

http://www.azspeed-marine.com/as19lt1flotu.html

I run them and they make great power up to about 800HP. But my drivers side header has been altered to allow me to run true duals, rather then the Y-pipe.

The Hooker headers you linked are for "dual-cat" LT1's. That would apply to 95 A4's with CA emissions, and all 96 and 97's. Unless your 95 was originally sold in CA (look at the build code tag for RPO "YF5") it left the factory with a single-cat exhaust. Makes a big difference. The dual-cat shorties are even worse than the single-cat shorties.

I had the JBA shorties on my Formula back when it was still fairly new, and they were terrible. Great at low RPM, but totally choked the engine at high RPM.
thanks a bunch for that.. i kinda like those headers... a bit pricey but they look really good. i think i can manage to put em on without pull the motor.. maybe lol

if anyone else has any good ideas for me to check out im open to suggestions but so far these seem to be where its at

im also really looking into this
http://www.azspeed-marine.com/19ltfcoairin.html

Last edited by Lilatlboy6969; 10-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lilatlboy6969
thanks a bunch for that.. i kinda like those headers... a bit pricey but they look really good. i think i can manage to put em on without pull the motor.. maybe lol

if anyone else has any good ideas for me to check out im open to suggestions but so far these seem to be where its at

im also really looking into this
http://www.azspeed-marine.com/19ltfcoairin.html
The monoblade is nice but would be a complete waste of money on your engine.

Quick Reply: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1