LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Re: in need of someone with patience and lots of exp with lt1

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The monoblade is nice but would be a complete waste of money on your engine.
why is that?? isnt more air pulled into the motor better? it would have to give me some kind of gain. im sure more internal upgrades would have a way bigger use in it maybe if i got a cam and some other things.. then again im not the best motor guy floating around as we all know so i could be wrong but i gotta assume it would do some sort of gain in hp/torque
Old 10-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator

A 48mm throttle body can flow more air than your engine needs now. As a result, there is very little pressure loss due to the friction through the bores of the throttle body. You would only gain air flow if there was significantly less pressure loss through the monoblade, and that isn't the case.

The guys that built my enigne showed me how I didn't even need my 58mm throttle body to make 500HP at the flywheel. Monoblade would a huge waste on a relatively stock engine, and would screw up the PCM's ability to control the A4 shifting.

AS&M's on the dyno.....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Dyno.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Engine/fut01a.jpg
Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
A 48mm throttle body can flow more air than your engine needs now. As a result, there is very little pressure loss due to the friction through the bores of the throttle body. You would only gain air flow if there was significantly less pressure loss through the monoblade, and that isn't the case.

The guys that built my enigne showed me how I didn't even need my 58mm throttle body to make 500HP at the flywheel. Monoblade would a huge waste on a relatively stock engine, and would screw up the PCM's ability to control the A4 shifting.

AS&M's on the dyno.....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Dyno.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Engine/fut01a.jpg
is there a good size i could upgrade to as that seems like an easier way to gain hp without tearing down the motor or pulling it
Old 10-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

You aren't going to pick up any major HP with a larger throttle body until you do other modifications to the engine that help it consume more air. The bores in the stock intake manifold are 52mm. You could upgrade to a 52mm without changing anything. If you go larger than 52mm the bores in the intake manifold will have to be modified to match. And you will have to have the PCM reprogrammed to correct the shifting of the automatic transmission. There are people who will bore out your stock throttle body to 52mm.

The biggest HP gains will come with ported stock heads and a matching camshaft. You don't have to pull the motor to do that. You would pull the intake manifold, heads, balancer, water pump, distributor, timing cover and chain, the cam, lifters and pushrods. But heads/cam can add up to 200HP at the flywheel, with supporting modifications (CAI, long tube headers, larger throttle body, PCM reprogram, larger injectors). If you gained anything with a larger throttle body, its single-digit HP.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You aren't going to pick up any major HP with a larger throttle body until you do other modifications to the engine that help it consume more air. The bores in the stock intake manifold are 52mm. You could upgrade to a 52mm without changing anything. If you go larger than 52mm the bores in the intake manifold will have to be modified to match. And you will have to have the PCM reprogrammed to correct the shifting of the automatic transmission. There are people who will bore out your stock throttle body to 52mm.

The biggest HP gains will come with ported stock heads and a matching camshaft. You don't have to pull the motor to do that. You would pull the intake manifold, heads, balancer, water pump, distributor, timing cover and chain, the cam, lifters and pushrods. But heads/cam can add up to 200HP at the flywheel, with supporting modifications (CAI, long tube headers, larger throttle body, PCM reprogram, larger injectors). If you gained anything with a larger throttle body, its single-digit HP.
well.. i think that was an extremely helpful post/reply to my questions... i guess i should just go with heads and a cam... guess i'll be asking around for different setups that are not exactly for dragging as im only looking to get into the 300-400hp range in long term... i have been interested in the 503 cam i see alot of people talking about