LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Need your guys opinion on what my problem is!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Need your guys opinion on what my problem is!!!

Well Saturday was my day to take my Formula up to storage with my dads t/a aswell. On my way there i only made it about 10 mins down the road when i was pulling away from a stop light and the rpms flutered like crazy and the car died. Wouldnt start up again so i pulled it to the side let it sit atleast an hour or two. Took my dads car up and dropped it off for storage and came back to see if my car would start and sure enough it did. Let it run for about 5 min and got it home shut it off and re started it and was fine. I went inside for about 5 mins or so to take a squirt and he back out to try and see if we could make it there and sure enough it acted up again. Just at idle the rpms between 1-2rpm its was all over the place and backfiring and a whole wack of **** for a couple mins till it eventually died out. Has to be electrical cuz the rpm gauge was all over the place and something isnt right. Let it sit for 3 days hoping if it was wet it would dry out. Started it up and let it idle for about 20 mins to see if it would warm up and dry out the water and it did till acted up. Got it running again that night and lucky enough got it to my mechanics place before any problems arose.

Checked the water pump and its still fine no signs of leaks which is good and got the air gun out to dry whatever moisture there was behind it out. Checked it the next morning and still doing the same thing. My best guess is its not the opti cuz the opti usually runs or wont run at all if its bad. Hoping its the module or coil thats bad and causing these problems.

Thoughts???
Old 11-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Weak alternator diode is what caused mine to crap out... Alt was only putting out 40 amps. Tach was all over the place and car ran poorly. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Take the coil and ICM off and take em' to your parts store to tell you if they are bad. Also, opti's do show these symptoms without going out completely. Usually it is caused by corrosion on the optical pickup and it can be affected by temperature once the car warms up. Check the coil and ICM first and then if they are good, might be time to look at the opti, also how many miles you have on this opti?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM

What was wet, the opti? It sounds like your opti is acting up. If the cap was soaked, there could be arcing inside it causing it to run like crap. Do you have a SES light?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:10 PM

Thats exactly how mine acted when the opti went out, so it could be the opti.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM

a full tune up was done about 2 years ago from previous owner i just bought it as of january this year and put 15,000KM on it. no idea how much the car was driven till the time it was done and when i bought it but its recent.

opti wasnt wet or soaked at all just for reassurance to blow it out and make sure its dry and retry the next morning and see if it made any difference. im going to rip the coil and icm off and take it by my local parts store and see what they have to say.