LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Here

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 08:44 AM

New Here

First of all I just want to say "what's up?" to everyone on the boards!

I went out with a few of my friends last night, and keep in mind that I've been into Imports for about 2 years now and I've only driven Hondas (that run in the mid-high 13's). But, last night, this Camaro drove up, apparently it was a 9 second car but the guy had it out on our Tuesday night cruise ins. This car was insane, he hit the gas and the car sounded absolutely sick! It sounded like it was going to eat everyone standing around it!

Needless to say, I think Hondas are working their way out of my life and I want to try something different, so I decided to join these boards. I need some suggestions as to what would be my best option for buying a Z28 Camaro. What are the benefits to having an Auto or Standard? Just some general info would be great! Thanks a lot for everyone's help, and I plan on being a big participant to these boards after last night!
Old 07-30-2003, 09:07 AM

Hey, welcome and I'm glad that you decided to come to the good side. First off what is your budget. If you only have 8,000 or less look at the LT1's you can find a nice one just look around because there is some junk. DO NOT buy from a used car dealer. If you have more money go with the LS1 cars. For stock they have more power and there aren't as many that have been messed with so you can do what you want to and not worry about some lazy guy that did a half azz job. But if you find a good LT1 for the money and the guy seems to know what's going on then get it. It may even save you money in mods. Also look around on here, someone in your area on this board may be selling a car. Chances are it was taken care of. The auto, standard thing is your choice try them both. I'm stuck with autos because my wife has carpul tunnel. but I like the six speeds better.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:22 AM

Welcome! Its hard to beat the sound and power of a healthy V 8. Autos are more consistant at the track.Also cant take much abuse unless built up.Myself,I love rowing gears and deciding which gear I want to be in.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:24 AM

Welcome to the dark side!!! Depending on your budget you've got a couple of options.

LT1 93-97--These can be had for a steal, or you can get stolen from. DON'T buy one from a dealer. Case in point: I bought a worked 93 last month (not the one in my sig) for $6000 with Hotcam kit, ported heads, hood, rims, Corbeau seats, full exhaust, you get the picture. I saw one very similar, without ANY mods, for $8000 at a dealership, and it had 25K more miles. The LT1 is a great motor, can be built to run like a madman, but has it's limitations. It doesn't take too well to boost unless it's built. A serious set of heads is going to cost you serious money. But, for the money, it's the best deal going.

LS1 98-02--Someone will chime in "this is the god of all v8's" ect. ect. The LS1 is a GREAT motor, you start off with approx 50 rwhp more than an LT1. However, slap a set of heads and a good cam on an LS1, and watch out! There's cars making near 500 rwhp on heads and cam packages with these things. The motor is lighter, loves to be revved high, but the powerband is a little weak on the torque side down low, unlike the LT1. The LS1 has way more potential than the LT1, but with that added potential comes a heavier price tag. The LS1 cars are also still commanding a premium.

Lt1 cars can be easily had anywhere from $4-8K in great shape, while a nice LS1 car could cost over 20K depending on the year.

Welcome to the board, and all I can say is this:

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go??

Proper response (my gf said this): "As fast as my paycheck will let me."
Old 07-30-2003, 10:19 AM

Yea it's always nice having a gf that is actually supportive of your "hobby" and had already bought you a Vig 2800 stall and LT's... .....and we've only been dating about 6 months...

Welcome to the board btw...for the money I'd advise an LT1...not the best engine to work on, but then what 350's are?

It's real easy. Finish up all your bolt-ons...then port heads...toss in a decent cam and you'll be pushing over 360 at the rear wheels...run mid 12's easily...
Old 07-30-2003, 10:47 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, I think the LT1 otpion will be what I go with, plus I like the body style better. Since some of these engines have low compression when built right, do any of you turbo them at all? I think a built V8 with a turbo would be retarded fast!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:56 AM

an LT1 is a 350 right? Is it a small block or a big block? What's the difference?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:06 PM

Yes, small block 350 CID.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:12 PM

LT1 is a small block. Big blocks are well...bigger. Both physically and displacement wise. I will be going turbo eventually. You HAVE to rebuild the bottom end with forged internals and lower compression. LT1s have 10.4:1 compression stock. The only boost you can run without blowing the engine is about 4.5psi. Not worth it. Some run 8-10psi for 30k miles no problem. Those are rare circumstances. Read around the board for more info and visit all the forums. Welcome aboard.

I never liked the looks of the LS1 or the price tag on some of them either but the engine is more than worth it. Once the valve covers are off though, and you get into the engine, the LS1 and LT1 war is up in the air. Over 400rwhp with just heads and a cam in an LT1 is working its way up to commonplace. Just remember, that kind of power may be for one guy but not for everyone. With these cars, needs come before wants.

EDIT: Yeah dont buy from a dealer. I bought my car from a used lot and it was such a POS. The paint is really starting to fall apart and there was so much wrong with it that if I didnt fix most of it myself it would of cost me at least $15,000 in parts and labor. Needless to say Lookin' Nu in Waterford Michigan no longer exists.

Last edited by CamaroBoy96Z28; 07-30-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
I never liked the looks of the LS1 or the price tag on some of them either but the engine is more than worth it. Once the valve covers are off though, and you get into the engine, the LS1 and LT1 war is up in the air. Over 400rwhp with just heads and a cam in an LT1 is working its way up to commonplace. Just remember, that kind of power may be for one guy but not for everyone. With these cars, needs come before wants.
Actually, it's not that close of a way. The LS1 is still going to end up way on top due to the outstanding flow characteristics of the heads. Even aftermarket top of the line LT1 heads are very hard pressed to keep up with a ported stock LS1 head.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:26 PM

Let's say I find an LT1 Camaro, preferably standard, and I put heads, cam, headers, exhaust, etc... a few of the basic bolt-ons... what kind of HP and 1/4 mile times could I expect? What's base HP for an LT1?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:29 PM

Well, Base HP for LT1's was 275 in 93, 285 in 94-97 I believe.

Good Heads and a cam like the XE 230/236, GM 847, or CC306 should be the ticket to over 400 at the wheels. Depends on the heads, and the overall running condition of the engine.

400 at the wheels should be good for easy 11's with traction.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:46 PM

93 - 95 are 275hp, 96 & 97 are 285hp (dual cat setup and heads that breathe a little bit better)

If you're looking for power I would suggest an aggressive cam such as a CC306 with ported heads. LT's and a nice cat-back. Gears will also play a big role, manual, I would go with 4.10s. Some intake work won't hurt either, let that baby breathe!

Last edited by ibanez6rg; 07-30-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:48 PM

who makes the CC306 heads? Who makes the LT Headers? I've been reading through the forums and nobody ever mentions brand names. haha
Old 07-30-2003, 12:52 PM

CC306 is a camshaft, quite a big one at that...LT's are long tube headers and you can get either Hooker or Jet-Hot LT's for a good price....they're the best out there....Jet-Hot long tubes are $493 shipped to your door...coated inside and out...