LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New Intake Elbow...Pictures & Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:29 PM

Try one of these. https://shell7.tdl.com/~jags/Pages/P...n_Ducting.html
Old 01-03-2007, 06:42 PM

Here is another cheap but not bad choice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-L...QcmdZViewIteme.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Thanks runLt1

I'll prbably just go get my deodorant cap back and just replace it back to stock. I dont mind the way it looks if thats the only reason people change it. Like I said before my hood is generally closed.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by micfly83
And I'm not gonna pay $80 on something that wont give me any performance gains
except for the :

stuff under my hood wrapped in heat shield, Aluminum Intake (i am not even sure what this is??), TB Bypass, 160 degree thermostat (with no tune), 315/35R17 dunlop tires, 17x10.5 (rear) -17x9.5 (front) Bullet five-spoke rims, SS "Big Attitude" stripes.

Heat shield, rims, dunlops, and stripes?? Now a piece of pvc?? Just buy the 1LE or the Trickflow and be done with it. Stop with all the crap your ricer buddies are doing to there cars. I really don't know if you have ricer buddies or not but my nephew and all his Honda loving pals do this kind of rigged stuff. There are plenty of correctly built parts for your car. Props on the cutout. Whats the 3" part in your sig??

David
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by dren70
except for the :

stuff under my hood wrapped in heat shield, Aluminum Intake (i am not even sure what this is??), TB Bypass, 160 degree thermostat (with no tune), 315/35R17 dunlop tires, 17x10.5 (rear) -17x9.5 (front) Bullet five-spoke rims, SS "Big Attitude" stripes.

Heat shield, rims, dunlops, and stripes?? Now a piece of pvc?? Just buy the 1LE or the Trickflow and be done with it. Stop with all the crap your ricer buddies are doing to there cars. I really don't know if you have ricer buddies or not but my nephew and all his Honda loving pals do this kind of rigged stuff. There are plenty of correctly built parts for your car. Props on the cutout. Whats the 3" part in your sig??

David
why would you waste money on a elbow if your engine isnt for show...doesnt do anything performence wise
Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM

except for the :

David

Sorry for disappointing you.

All of the appearance stuff was put on by the previous owner and its one of the best looking Z28s I've ever seen. It was also kept stock when I bought it.

Now being on a very tight college budget I am forced to do things for cheap.

This would explain the aluminum intake I bought off ebay and then wrapped in heat shield and put a K&N filter on. I had one on my previous jeep and really liked it. The problem with the ebay intakes is that they heat up pretty quick...so to fix this...I wrapped it in heat shield and blocked the filter off from the engine bay with heat shield. Probably saved $100 or more by doing this, and it may even function better than the expensive ones by staying cooler.

Now lets see....ah yes, the 160 Thermostat. Car has been running hot, so I decided to put in a 160 one. Car runs cooler now and doesnt get much above 180. I know to get the full potential of this you should reprogram the computer. But like stated above, i'm on a tight budget and i'm gonna wait on the tune till I actually do something major like long tubes.

I then did the cutout to give me the best free flowing exhaust for the cheapest amount.

The tires were also put on by the previous owner and are almost bald. Some drag radials are going on next.

And no way would I ever buy an elbow for that much. Its absolutely pointless and seems more of a waste than my BIG ATTITUDE stripes, which people can actually see
Old 01-03-2007, 10:45 PM

I have the Vortech elbow:

Disadvantage:
It is made out of aluminum and feels really HOT when I open the hood. I think it raises the IAT way more than the stock plastic elbow. The plastic elbows I feel on other cars at the track feel way cooler.

Advantage:
The airflow is split into two seperate chambers so that it directs air (more)evenly to both throttle blades. In the big open stock elbow, the air does not want to hug the inside of the elbow (right side) as it makes the turn to the throttle body. It wants to continue heading straight and bounce off of the outside (left side) of the elbow. As the air heads for the outside (not being able to hug the inside turn) it is met with the air that is making the turn along the outside (left side) of the elbow and causes turbulence before it enters the throttle bores.

Basically, the twin chamber Vortech elbow starightens out the airflow helping it to move faster with less turbulence. It SHOULD give you more power.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:16 PM

except for the :

David
There was a time when you couldn't open up a catalog and buy every single part for your car and have it shipped to your door the next day. And not everyone can afford a laundry list of expensive (and mostly useless) mods. "Rigging" stuff is a way of life.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mourningyou
There was a time when you couldn't open up a catalog and buy every single part for your car and have it shipped to your door the next day. And not everyone can afford a laundry list of expensive (and mostly useless) mods. "Rigging" stuff is a way of life.
"Rigging Stuff" is for when you breakdown on the side of the road and you have to fix it with whatever tools and supplies you have at hand so you can get home. It's not a methodology for modifying a sports car. Before off-the-shelf parts become available for new models, you either leave it alone, or fabricate, modify, or develop your own parts and tuning tools if you have the skill and resources. No one buys a new Firebird, or Vette, or Viper, or Mustang and starts "Rigging Stuff" - that is for somebody with a junky car and no money to keep the muffler from falling off or some kid who wants to install a new radio with wire nuts and electrical tape.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
"Rigging Stuff" is for when you breakdown on the side of the road and you have to fix it with whatever tools and supplies you have at hand so you can get home. It's not a methodology for modifying a sports car. Before off-the-shelf parts become available for new models, you either leave it alone, or fabricate, modify, or develop your own parts and tuning tools if you have the skill and resources. No one buys a new Firebird, or Vette, or Viper, or Mustang and starts "Rigging Stuff" - that is for somebody with a junky car and no money to keep the muffler from falling off or some kid who wants to install a new radio with wire nuts and electrical tape.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:46 PM

Man I hate it when I write a long reply and then it gets lost becuase I was logged out. Anyway Micfly, I totally came across wrong. Sorry. Its great you drive a Z. I bet its faster than most of your friends cars at shcool. I was saying that I think you would do better if you just saved a little longer and bought the correct parts for your car. There are always great deals somewhere if you hunt long enough.

How could the 160 stat help?? If you were hot before I don't get how opening the stat earlier would prevent you getting to the same temp.

David
Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Man I hate it when I write a long reply and then it gets lost becuase I was logged out. Anyway Micfly, I totally came across wrong. Sorry. Its great you drive a Z. I bet its faster than most of your friends cars at shcool. I was saying that I think you would do better if you just saved a little longer and bought the correct parts for your car. There are always great deals somewhere if you hunt long enough.

How could the 160 stat help?? If you were hot before I don't get how opening the stat earlier would prevent you getting to the same temp.

David
at idle the lower temp state won't help unless you modify the fans to come on at a lower temp. However while driving this would lower the engine temp a little bit but won't really gain you any noticable performance.

I have a trick flo elbow on my car I replaced it because the OEM elbow had a tear in it. It is not for looks... I did notice the engine intake whistle louder at upper RPMs after I replaced the elbow but I don't care.

one advantage of having an aluminum intake elbow is you can easily and confidently plumb a nitrous fitting. You would know its in aluminum and not rubber therefore decreasing the chances of a nitrous fitting blowing off the intake elbow and setting your car on fire. Not saying its common for that to happen but it could.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM

David
I understand where your comin from bud

And right now the car isn't very fast at all due to the fact that I cant get any traction, even with the 315s (gettin to be very bald, need some DRs).

But I dont regret doing any of the mods I did at all. I like to save the money so I can go out and do other things.

And they all function VERY well, I couldn't ask for any better. I did some more free stuff today that I'm going to post pictures tomorrow for everyone to check out.

And about the 160 stat; it works better over the 180 one. On the highway as stated above it runs at about 170ish, and then in town it runs at about 170-180...190-200 if its bumper to bumper and hot out. But before this it would get very hot real quick and stay there.

And yes I know I need to get the cpu tuned to have the fans kicked on sooner to make it function better...but like I said...I'm waiting for my LTs and for some money. Until then, it runs great.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:45 AM

The two best mods I did were the drag radials and the torque converter. If I did an automatic again those would be at the top of the list. I recommend the mickey thompson et street radial 110% with personal expereience to back them up. IMHO there is no comparison between those and BFG. I cant speak to the NITTO's. I dont even have to warm the MT's up on the street and they grab from 2400 right now. Thats with 300 at the wheels. The MT tires took .5 seconds off my 1/4 compared to street tires. Simply awesome.

David
Old 01-06-2007, 08:38 AM

The two best mods I did were the drag radials and the torque converter. If I did an automatic again those would be at the top of the list. I recommend the mickey thompson et street radial 110% with personal expereience to back them up. IMHO there is no comparison between those and BFG. I cant speak to the NITTO's. I dont even have to warm the MT's up on the street and they grab from 2400 right now. Thats with 300 at the wheels. The MT tires took .5 seconds off my 1/4 compared to street tires. Simply awesome.

David
Alright I'll check into those

What size do you run?

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Intake Elbow...Pictures & Problems