LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New LT1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 10:14 PM

New LT1 owner

FINALLY......., THE LT1........... HAS COME BACK........TO MY HOUSE.

WHOOHOO. bought my first lt1 today. check the sig. fully loaded cost me 8500. 52000 miles. its a cherry. anyways i have a few questions. First, when i take off in 1st gear, and i give it gas under 1500 rpms it makes a rattling grinding noise. it does this in any gear if the rpms are around 1000. secondly, when i turn the lights off, the headlights go down properly, but there is a whining noise from the passenger one for about 3 secs after its closed. Also, the temp sometimes gets up to the 210 mark when i leave it sitting for a while w/out the air on. is this normal? Last one, sometimes when i shift out of first under 2500 rpms, the shifter gets stuck in the gate and wont go into second. i know its supposed to go into 4th, but sometimes i cant get in there. thanks alot for your help.

P.S. TCS SUCKS FAT *****.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:25 PM

First off congrats on the new car man!!!!!!!!! Second if the grinding noise is the one i am thinking about then its no big deal. In first gear around 1000 rpm's it makes a little noise like the one you described so its no biggy. Couldnt tell ya about the lights..............i got a camaro. But the temp thing is normal. You might want to invest in a manual fan swith,OR a Electric Waterpump, OR a 160 thermastat. The last thing is just the skipshift trying to work and sometimes when they get older they dont work exactly right. You can buy a !CAGS or skip shift eleminater for like 30 bucks out of summit. Will solve the problem most likely. Anyways i think i ansewered all your questions and good luck with the car. Mod as much as you like but always keep some stored away for a rainy day.

Chris
Old 03-27-2003, 10:26 PM

Well i dont know the answers to all the questions but here's a few. If the noise coming from the headlight is what happened on my brothers formula, one of the teeth got broken off in the assembly that raises and lowers the light. Usually you have to take it to the dealer to fix but if this is the first time you can go inside to where you see the teeth that move the light up and down. Then manually turn the gear(I forget which way, if the first way doesnt work, try the other) until it's out of the way since the gear doesn't make a full revolution. This will fix the problem the first time, the 2nd time you'll have to get it replaced.

The temp is normal since the fans dont automatically kick on till the temp gets pretty high if you don't have the air on.

Maybe you're just not used to shifting into 4th from 1st and you're not getting it lined up right. Try letting the car rev higher then shift into 2nd until you can disable cags, thats what I do.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:31 PM

May want to make sure the air is bleed out of the cooling system.
Congrats on the purchase, sounds like a nice stocker.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:48 PM

car sound awsome im glad for you
dont know about light
the noise just to slow for the gear id you will learn the car pretty soon and be able to keep from making noise
i had my pcm programmed so the fans come on sooner never gets over 197
i hate the skip shift
Old 03-27-2003, 10:49 PM

i think you were right on the cags deal. im probably not lining up the shift right. im used to my old beat *** 5 speed. tomorrow i will try the headlight fix and see how it goes. I was wondering, could i take my hooker catback off my 84 z and have it installed on the formula? the routing is the same right?

thanks for all the help.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:51 PM

The light deal is more than likely the gear that turns it up and down. The teeth are probably worn down enough to where the gear slips and makes the noise. You have to get access to it and spin it around to the other side. I think Brent Franker wrote up a guide for this.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:16 PM

anyone know if a 3rd gen catback can be easily welded to a 4th gen ypipe and fit right with the rest of the car?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:27 PM

Cogratulations on your new car. You're going to love it.
I'm hoping to join you shortly as I'm buying an LT1 too.

BTW Don't worry about the rattling noise, the car I'm buying seems to have a somewhat similar problem.
Check out this thread:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=98887