LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New to modding..what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 06:23 PM

New to modding..what to do?

I hear a lot of talk about free mods which are most effective. Also im going to do the CAI, Exhaust and Headers to start. What else should i try to get done this winter. I want to have a combination that mixes well. Any ideas? I see a lot of people with what seem like nice combinations in there sigs and would like to know what else i should squeeze in. (are pulleys worth it early in the game?)
Old 11-02-2003, 06:27 PM

The most common first mod is a cold air intake (cai). pullies aren't a bad idea. Try useing a search, you can find hundreds of pages on the subject. Do the easy, cheap stuff first so that you can build upon them later with bigger things.

www.ws6.com has some dyno charts that will show you what to expect from different mods.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:29 PM

If you can afford it - some rear gears would give you a seat of the pants feel - and plant a smile on your face.

3.73's for a A4
4.10's for a M6.

Happy Modding!
Old 11-02-2003, 06:33 PM

K&N FIPK is a good CAI, get a 3" catback exhaust (not flowmaster, hooker is a good one that's pretty inexpensive), I would say do the CAI and the 3" exhuast at the same time,

after those do:

Headers and UD pulley, if you have to be emissions legal get some shorties (SLP or Hookers) or mid lengths, if that's not an issue, go with jet hot or Hooker longtube headers and a 3" y-pipe (they make a lot more power than shorties or mid lengths).

With LT headers, CAI, UD pulley, 3" exhaust, and other free bolt ons, you should be around 290-300 rwhp no a decent running LT1.

After that it's Cam and 1.6 Rocker time! $$ permitting you can do your heads at the same time.....but do a LOT of research on cams before you decide to get one, post on here a lot, any questions you may have, there's a lot of people on here that have been down that road.

Darrell

Last edited by FastWhiteTA; 11-02-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:58 PM

3000 stall, gears, and headers.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:01 PM

Thanks to all who have posted thus far

Updated my sig so you know what I have (which is nothing other then that its not an auto!). I have no emission laws to pass where I am so anything goes .
Old 11-02-2003, 07:36 PM

A CAI, headers and exhaust ..... The first 3 most popular bolt ons. pullys, ignition, free mods ect. gears, suspension, interior. There are 1000's of parts you need , take it nice and slow and do one at a time. plan a nice built up with what you have in mind for the car ie: drag racer, weekend racer, show car ect. for now stick with the first 3 !! happy import hunting !! ...

oh BTW... if you are going for 1/4 mile racing my auto will own you .... so dont dis auto's unless were coming down from a mountain ( highly unlikely)
Old 11-02-2003, 10:50 PM

Who was dissing A4s? I like my M6 though, much more fun to drive! But to each his own.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:55 PM

A4's run much more consistently than M6's do...
Old 11-02-2003, 11:26 PM

TB bypass is an awesome mod. Didnt see that anyone mentioned it yet in this thread. If so, I just missed it. I have all the beginner mods in my sig. Start off with those. I will say that the TB bypass gained me almost a full mph in the traps. Got my trap up to 103.7 mph before I put in LTs.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:19 AM

I have been considering pullies, but am very skeptical. I know they add performance, but how hard are they on an alternator (alternators arent cheap)? Would yall recommend just getting the crank pulley or getting the crank and alternator pulley set? Also, how do you know what size belt to get? Sorry for all the questions, but pulleys scare me!
Old 11-03-2003, 12:04 PM

I think teh CAI first, then Headers, Then Cut Out. If the cut out is to loud like it was for me, a nice cat back is good to get. Then hold off on modding.

Save up a few G's and make sure the car is paid off. A good Tune up and Nice wires and Coil would not hurt. But pay it off first.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:03 PM

at www.thunderracing.com when you order a crank UD pulley, they also sell a belt that comes with it as extra. I have just the UD pulley and shorter belt and haven't had any problems. The only thing I have noticed is at idle when my fan switch is turned to high, the amps are low. But 99% of the time I can switch the fan to low or off and the amps go right back up to normal. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the althernator pulley along with the UD pulley. But I'd have to buy another belt so I haven't gotten the alt pulley yet.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:06 PM

my UD pulley is almost becoming more of a hassle than its worth...at idle the lights will dim and then grow...dim and then grow....I was thinking that maybe a 200W alternator could take care of this?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:09 PM

Just something to think about: Most, in my opinion, concentrate on increasing HP/TQ and usually start small because of the cost.

In a nut shell the power comes from heads, cam, and headers.

And although torque magnifiers like high stalls and gears are also desirable, few get around to beefing up the rear with a 12 bolt. Again because of the expense.

You need to decide what you intend to do with the car, i.e, street, strip, street only, etc. and go from there.

If you check some sigs you will see some that have every conceivable bolt on from plug wires to airfoils,etc. Not that there is anything wrong with that approach, but it's usually because the real performance enhancers are spendy.

Bottom line though, is if you save your pennies and can suppress your addiction to mod just to mod, you can reach your goals quicker with more success.JMHO