LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

new opti and car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:26 PM

new opti and car will not start

i just got the car back together and it will not start. it sounds normal just will not fire. i was looking around and notice that the wires going to the opti on the drivers side of the car clicked three times when i put the wire on. on the passenger side they did not even once. seems like they are just stuck on there by the suction of the boot. i can not push them any further on but i am getting a spark plug boot pliers today. i think i may be able to grab them and pull them on from further up the boot. if this is the case then the car would not start right? any ideas? should it click on the passenger side as well? HELP
Old 07-13-2004, 01:48 PM

if some of the plugs were in and some were not then you probably would just get a really rough idle and a bunch of misfires.... make sure you have the wire from the opti to the coil in.....also, you could of lined up the opti and the little dowl incorrectly so the timiing is off
Old 07-13-2004, 03:14 PM

i have a 94. it hasthe small drive gear for the opti. it slide all the way on and touched the block. i did not force it down. it will only go on one way from what i have seen it has one of the keyways blocked so that it goes on the corretct way
Old 07-14-2004, 07:42 PM

i rechecked the wires and they are all good. i checked the coil all good. i do not know what to do next!!!!!!!! help
Old 07-14-2004, 07:45 PM

Are you sure you installed the opti in correctly? Its possible you put it in backwards. I know, i've done it once.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:32 PM

hope this helps!
http://mainstreamtopics.com/forum/in...p?showtopic=78
-b
Old 07-14-2004, 09:58 PM

Thumbs up MONEY says its the OPTI install

Hey, sorry to hear about your problem. I have a 94Z and I just replaced my Opti just like you, less than two months ago. I reinstalled everything, then it wouldnt start. I checked that first the Opti wire wasnt plugged in behind the WaterPump. Its a #$%$ to plug in if everything is already hooked up, but check that first. I then had EVERYTHING hooked up correctly, and the car would click but nothing would ignite.
Then I finally listened to a guy up here where I lived had the same problem, its the install. Everything seems fine, but you HAVE to uninstall and reinstall it. Make sure when you install the Opti, the dowl's little arrow and the arrow on the Opti match, and get up inside the engine compartment, and almost sit up with a flashlight and look inside the Timing cover where the dowl goes. Make sure you can see what direction the gap for the special 'flat' part of the dowl fits into. Mine was SLIGHTLY off and it still didnt work.
I uninstalled everything, and was able to salvage my water pump gaskets because the pump was just put on, plus I use a special BLUE gasket sealent which helps A LOT. I use it on the thermo as well. Once you've taken it all out, Check to see exactly where the flat spot in the timing cover is lined up, then match the Opti and dowl the same way. It may not be exactly north or whatever, so do your best. Like I said, I too thought mine was fine, it all fit perfectly well and was bolted back on flush. But once everything was reinstalled, guess what, it fired right up and I was so friggin happy
I would put money on it, its the install. I just isnt lined up perfect. It cant even be 1% unaligned. Good luck and I hope this helps. Just make sure you have everything hooked up before starting it. Before reinstalling the WaterPump, make sure you plug int he power to the Opti (top left side of opti). Good luck, Derek.
*****one more thing, in order to get up inside the engine compartment to look straight into the timing cover, i removed my left coolant fan, its only three little bolts (10mm i believe) and unhook the power. But you can remove the whole coolant fan assembly (dual fans) by simply taking off the radiator cover (black flat piece covering the radiator, three bolts (10 mm). The coolant fans simply rest inside the engine compartment. Just pull it out from the bottom, its easy. this gives you A LOT of room. Hope this helps, good luck and sorry for the long reply!

Last edited by 1Qwik94Z; 07-14-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:49 PM
Administrator

He's posted this question on several bulletin boards, and I've explained to him quite carefully that I have seen at least 10 cases posted where people insisted they put the splined shaft in correctly, and upon reassembly, found it to be misaligned.

He keeps insisting that its not possible to install the splined shaft incorrectly. Seems like I need to make that "at least 11 cases posted....." adding 1Qwik94Z to the list.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:34 AM

how do you out it in backwards? trust me i will pull it all apart tonight and rein stall it that is all that is left. i just hope you are right. i have the whole fan assembly on the floor and no water in it yet so it will not be that big a deal to redo it i guess just annoying. i also have another waterounp gasket set so i will be fine there to. how is my question can it be off and slide all the way on. i will try any thing though. as forthe other posts i was going through fuel and spark systems to chase the problem. figured i would get twice the answers if a guy that knows about the fuel system sees a question about a fuel system and the same for the electrical.