LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

new problem COLD weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 01:19 AM

new problem COLD weather

PLEASE READ
now i have a new problem...in the mornings when my car is cold i have a miss, used to be around 60 degrees outside and id have one or 2 cyl. missing for about 15 seconds...now its 30 degrees outside and as i hit the key the starter starts going and nothing is happening after about 3-4 seconds my oil pressure goes to half way and i have a boom boom 2 cylinders hitting stay on it about 30 seconds move the gas to 1/4 and i might get 3 to hit...then battery dies...so i jump my battery and stay on it about a full minute mayb a minute in a hlaf and it will start...but only feels like 5 cylinders...i hold the rpm at 2500(any lower it will die) then after about 10-15 seconds(car is smoking at this time some unburnt gas some smells like oil) then the car acts like it has no problems at all!!! runs like a champ only does any of theis when cold
new oil pump and bottom end
valvoline straight 30 weight(reccomended by rebuilder)
new opti
new coil
im leaning to my lifters being 130k with my cc306 huge lift near .570
i think the lifters are weak and bleeding off not opening the valves??? sounds like it could be correct???
think i should try a thinker oil or thinner???
any recommendations
thanks
daniel
Old 12-10-2005, 05:57 AM

Re: new problem COLD weather

What's the comp. ratio of your new bottom end?
Old 12-10-2005, 07:32 AM

You've got some bad or fouled plugs or bad plug wires. It is much harder to fire a plug when it is cold.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:26 PM

Well if you figure out the problem let me know because my 94 formula with lt4 hotcam, headers,cai,new plugs, and wires about 3months old, and the rest stock engine. And my friends 94 z28 bone stock other than a cai are both doing the same exact thing.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:03 PM

the bottom end is stock but refreshed...stock 10.5:1

ok did some work on it today and figured the problem is in the spark path...i have a msd coil and some new wires but nothin special...the plugs are ngk tr6 at .35...also have a brand new opti...
i had this problem before i switched coils so i kno thats not it...i changed the wires long before this problem so i dont think its them...only thing ive ever had problems with before was the opti and that was the high rmp kept wallowing out the lil screw on the rotor but i lock tighted them in last time i messed up with them so i think there ok...
i was cranking on it today and had 1 cylinder working front passanger after about a minute of cranking the second on passenger side hit...then battery died...so i swear the problem is heat related and im leaning towards opti???

i had a timing light on it and all the wires have spark through them...but im guessing its just not strong enough to spark the gas...anybody know any tricks just to start it?
Old 12-10-2005, 06:47 PM

Could try starter fluid, even w/ a weak spark that **** will burn right up. Take off the elbow and spray it inside the tb. And put the elbow back on.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:29 PM

tried the starter fluid trick..the problem is im gettin no spark

anyways went out looked again today and decited to check each wire and see if i had spark...so i went and pulled a wire while my gf was cranking on the car i got the wire near the plug to see if it would jump...and it did!!!
so im gettin some sorta spark but then i notice that cylinder is hitting...so i tell her to stop and put it back on ...another cylinder the SAME thing! then i notice the first cylinder isnt doing it again
so hmmmmm....what if i take off all the plug wires and set the boot over the plug so it has to jump a 1/4 inch...do it and about 8 seconds of cranking VROOM! she started!!!
click them all back on and bam shes running great...had a few backfires but i think my wires are touching eachother of my headers...

all in all...i think my conclusion is that the coil isnt giving enough spark unless it has to...??? so im thinkin the coil is the culperate...think im going to bring the coil inside and set it in a warm area...go put it on the car and see if she will crak right up again...a friend of mine is havin the same problem so mayb have to come up with some kinda heating device for it

anybody else have the cold start problem and beat it???
thanks
daniel
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM

The only time a plug fires when the plug wire is gapped to the plug is when the plugs are shot as in fouling. Have you bothered to look at the plugs?

You do know you can test the coil before the opti right? Now if you use a tester that expands the gap to simulate the power needed as if it where under compression, you can eliminate that.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM

isnt the stock gap on the spark plugs .50 not .35, that might be the problem. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:23 AM

i do believe the plugs are fouled..i have looked at them they are black but dont look terrible enough not to work...i cleaned them but new ones are in store...problem is that im worreid about this smoke when i start my car now...come from the engine and exhaust its oil burning and burns my eyes...i cant figure how oil is in the exhaust or cylinders bc rebuilt 10k ago is has new rings along with new valve seals? how can it be? no oil leaks i can see on the car/valve covers/ect...
i know what rich is black and smells like and burns your eyes...but this smoke is looks blue and smells like oil at the same time...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 AM

Check to see if you have lost any anti-freeze, if you have then take all the plugs out and put pressure on the cooling system and you can find where it is going. Also check the oil does it look milky?