LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

new TB NEED SOME HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 03:51 PM

Angry new TB NEED SOME HELP!!

I just got a new Holley 52mm throttle body for my 96Z, I read in one thread that it was just bolt on plug and play kinda deal, so I unhooked everything from the stock TB and put it on the new one, I bolted it back up and tried to start it, and it makes the whining noise then shuts off, it takes about 5seconds from when I turn the key, to shutting down...I really need some help I need to drive the car by saturday, if you guys can help me out I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

THANK YOU

Chris
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 PM

Re: new TB NEED SOME HELP!!

Did you have the mass air flow hooked up when you tried to run it?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:24 PM

yeh, the MAF and the rest of the intake is on
Old 06-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Make sure you hooked up the IAC and the TPS sensors

-Shannon
Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM

I thought you had to use a voltimeter and readjust the tps sensor or something.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:04 PM

if theres a website or something to tell me how to do that, I would appreciate it .. plz
Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 PM

I cant figure this out damnit, it doesnt even have instructions wtf I need my car to work
Old 06-16-2006, 04:08 AM

BUTTERFLIES CLOSED ON THE TB?

Your going to need a way to measure the voltage to your TPS so you can adjust it. If I remember correctly it was reading to high causing the car to throw codes and not run. What you'll have to do is drill the holes in it a little larger so when you get it on you can tweek it and torque it down. Do a search on my name, someone told me what it should all read.

edit: Here you go
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399363

Last edited by Jeremy_30th; 06-16-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 AM
Administrator

First... are you sure you used a good gasket between the bottom plate and the throttle body? Are you sure you correctly tightened all the screws that hold the bottom plate to the body? Did you correctly install and reconnect the TPS and IAC connectors (you didn't answer Nomad's question - best way to get GOOD help is to respond to questions)?

Did you use a good gasket between the TB and the intake manifold? Did you correctly reconnect the EVAP purge line and the line from the valve cover to the TB?

Did you by any chance spill coolant on the Opti when changing the TB? Is it possible you knocked the harness connector off the CLT sensor on the water pump? The MAF sensor harness connector has been checked for bent pins?

One possibility is that the target IAC "counts" are no longer correct. Shoebox has a reset procedure on his website for the IAC.

TPS voltage needs to be between 0.20-0.90V. You use a volt meter to measure the voltage across the blue and the black wires in the harness connector. But that isn't going to prevent it from starting. This really is a "plug-n-play" kind of swap. Usually it will start right up. Once you get it running:

-Check idle speed. If its too high, back off the throttle stop screw slowly until the idle speed is correct for your engine/tranny combo.

-Check the IAC counts with a scanner. Should be in the range of 20-40 counts. If not, tweek the throttle stop screw a bit.

-use the same scanner to check tour TPS voltage. Should be between 0.20-0.90V as above. Some people like to slot the screw holes in the sensor to get it in the range of 0.50-0.67V, but that isn't really necessary.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM

thanks for all the help, the tps sensor and the iac are on fine, im checking the volts right now, and I saw on another website theres a vacuum hole in the bottom?? is that true? anyway, im going to go make shure everything is hooked up right and chekc out the voltage and ill be back in afew minutes thank yOU!
Old 06-16-2006, 04:26 PM

the arrow is pointing to the cable that goes around the little actuator arm, which is loose, it probobly has about 3/4" of play in it, and the red circled pin wasnt on the old throttle body, and I dont know if something is supposed to attach there,, other than that I couldnt find anything else that looked wrong

thank you
Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by OrbitalChris
thanks for all the help, the tps sensor and the iac are on fine, im checking the volts right now, and I saw on another website theres a vacuum hole in the bottom?? is that true? anyway, im going to go make shure everything is hooked up right and chekc out the voltage and ill be back in afew minutes thank yOU!
A vacuum hole in the bottom of WHAT?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:52 PM

the throttle body, but thats retarted sorry I brought it up lol, i think its a problem with that linkage cable?? i put the stock TB back on and turned the key to on and it started getting random spurts of power, then it stayed on but wont start now with the new TB on either so I think its that cable if its possible
Old 06-17-2006, 11:22 AM

with the old one ** it wont work either
Old 06-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

You never answered this question:
Did you by any chance spill coolant on the Opti when changing the TB? Is it possible you knocked the harness connector off the CLT sensor on the water pump?
The second cable is for the cruise control.... that wouldn't make it not start.