LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

New trans, now the car wont start ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 PM

New trans, now the car wont start ??

Went to pick up my 95 TA from the tranny shop and found that they had been there trying to start the car for almost 30 minutes. I got into the car and found that it wouldnt start because the car was on E! I ran to the local gas station and put in a few gallons of gas but the car still wouldnt start. Here are the symptoms:

1. Cranks, but wont start
2. Diesels a tiny bit after you attempt to crank over the car
3. Fuel pressure is at 47psi
4. Verified that we have spark at the spark plug
5. Tried "clear flood mode" - still wouldnt start
6. Tried spraying starter fluid - didnt help

Existing issue:
When i bought the car it had a very intermittent hard start issue. Someties it just refuses to start. You can crank all day and it wont start. Other times you get in it and it starts right away.

Any one have a clue what this might be? Car has 100K and im sure its all original.

Last edited by dubbsix; 02-09-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Fuel pressure looks a bit high but is still in specs. If it was completely empty it could take some work and there have been a lot of issues with this on this site this last week. Start the car with the accelerator pedal to the floor and see if that helps. This thread ended up having you same issue after replacing the pump. https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=577578
Old 02-09-2008, 10:54 PM

clear flood mode didnt work

Hi,

I listed what i tried in the origional post. I tried flooring it and it still wouldnt start.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:46 PM

is the security light on/flashing?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:38 AM

Security light

I didnt notice if the security light was flashing, but the car did crank. I thought with a VATS issue it wouldnt crank at all.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Anyone?

No suggestions on what the cause could be? i know the forums are full of similair posts, but my fuel, and my spark seems good. The only oddity is the slight diesling after trying to start it.. which sounds like timing.

What controls timing on the LT1 ??
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39 PM

R your injectors spraying? My uncle had the same problem with his LeSabor and it was a bad throttle position sencor. Would a camaro act the same if the TPS was bad?
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM

How to tell ?

I dont know how to check if the injectors are firing without spraying fuel all over the engine.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Timing is set by the PCM, using a table to look up advance based on RPM and engine load (MAP). The PCM references the cam position signal from the Opti to determine where each cylinder is in its 4-stroke cycle.

Does the fuel pressure hold at 47psi when you are trying to crank it?

Have you scanned it for codes?

You can verify that the injectors are getting a ground from the PCM to fire them, by using an inexpensive 'noid lights.

Have you check the fuses for the injectors? Have you verified that you have +12V at the pink wire at each injector harness connector with the key on? Have you checked the sensor and ignition fuses? Its possible that when they were working on the tranny, they scuffed a wire, like the O2 heater power supply, and blew one of the critical ignition/PCM/sensor fuses.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:24 PM

Here's a wild shot but it actually happened to me. My car wouldn't start while it was at the AAMCO tranny shop because they fried the PCM. Get them to hook up there data reader to it and see if they are getting signals from the PCM. If so then that's not the problem. Also if you've been having hard start issues and you've verified spark and Fuel Pressure the Opti could be a prime culprit. However before going that route make sure all the little things check out as listed above for sure. If you do wind up going the opti route by all means get with some folks on the site or shbox.com and do it yourself to save a lot of money. Also buy a water pump while your at it. Samtaylor.com has the best prices and quality GM parts.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Timing is set by the PCM, using a table to look up advance based on RPM and engine load (MAP). The PCM references the cam position signal from the Opti to determine where each cylinder is in its 4-stroke cycle.

Does the fuel pressure hold at 47psi when you are trying to crank it?
The pressure fluctuates between 40-47 while trying to turn it over

Have you scanned it for codes?
No, i didnt bring it with me. I had gone to pick it up from the tranny shop. They tried scanning but didnt get any codes..

You can verify that the injectors are getting a ground from the PCM to fire them, by using an inexpensive 'noid lights.

Have you check the fuses for the injectors? Have you verified that you have +12V at the pink wire at each injector harness connector with the key on? Have you checked the sensor and ignition fuses? Its possible that when they were working on the tranny, they scuffed a wire, like the O2 heater power supply, and blew one of the critical ignition/PCM/sensor fuses.
I didnt personally check fuses, but when i got there they had popped the fuse lid off. I will have the car back home by the weekend. Its stranded 68 miles from my house, so i have to wait for my AAA benefits to kick in

This is great! im going to try this and hope that it leads me somewhere.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Hope Not

Originally Posted by Airbornec507
Here's a wild shot but it actually happened to me. My car wouldn't start while it was at the AAMCO tranny shop because they fried the PCM. Get them to hook up there data reader to it and see if they are getting signals from the PCM. If so then that's not the problem. Also if you've been having hard start issues and you've verified spark and Fuel Pressure the Opti could be a prime culprit. However before going that route make sure all the little things check out as listed above for sure. If you do wind up going the opti route by all means get with some folks on the site or shbox.com and do it yourself to save a lot of money. Also buy a water pump while your at it. Samtaylor.com has the best prices and quality GM parts.
The night i bought the car i had a similar condition. It would crank and crank, but wouldnt even attempt to start. We left it alone for a minute and it eventually fired over.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Found it

Water pump is leaking and soaking the opti.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM

At least you found the problem. Something else to fix now. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Yea i found it pretty quickly once i had the car back to my garage. Its a wonder no one has tried to make some sort of thin metal shroud that would deflect water from hitting the opti.

Plus isnt it supposed to be a weather sealed unit?

Quick Reply: New trans, now the car wont start ??