LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Newbie needs more info...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 09:12 PM

Question Newbie needs more info...

Hi. I've been browsing the board for a little while now and have done searches and found the answers to most of my questions. I've been looking for a 94-95 Z28 in Ontario and have decided it would be best to get an auto since most posts say that on average an auto will be faster or at least more consistant than standard. I would prefer standard but if auto's faster then I think I can live with an auto.
These are some things that I should check for or try, correct me if I'm wrong:
-fender wells for rubber
-ask if fuel or water pump has been replaced
-intake manifold leak on rear pass side of engine
-let idle 15mins so temp gets up then drive
-intake bellow (rips on underside of TB)
-tranny mounts
-wet torque arms (pinion and seal leak)
-opti-spark

Any other info would be appreciated.
Also, do all Z28's come with traction control? I see some advertised with it and would like to try to find one with it.

Thanks,

Rich
Old 05-24-2003, 01:34 AM

Good start! Check tires out to front and back, for even treadwear or if they are worn out. Also Power window motors go, see if they go up slow or fast, Youll be able to tell. Check for undercarriage damage. These cars are so damn fast most beginner drivers lose control of them. GET A CARFAX. Check out the brakes, agressive driving can rip them apart, especially the rear. I had to replace them on my babied 97 SS at 37,000 shortly after I bought it. And now my 96 needs them, rotors and all. Do a little blue book searching too. People seem to think that everyone of them is a gold mine, since they quit production. (Damn that GM, they ruin everyones good time with the Impala SS and now the F-bodies.)that is all i can come up with for you. Hope I have been of some help to you. Good Luck!
Old 05-24-2003, 01:40 AM

Re: Newbie needs more info...

[
Any other info would be appreciated.
Also, do all Z28's come with traction control? I see some advertised with it and would like to try to find one with it.

Thanks,

Rich [/B][/QUOTE] yes you did your homework well done, about the traction control only 97 year model's and up had that option, i could be wrong
Old 05-24-2003, 04:18 AM

My 94 Z doesn't have Traction Control..
Old 05-24-2003, 06:07 AM

My 96 has traction control. It's quite handy in the rain and in gravel lots I imagine it would be good in the snow also.

I say go with a manual, they're way more fun. Sure the auto's have a few advantages at the track but this isn't going to be an all out track car anyway is it?

Believe me, any good stick driver can pretty much beat an auto at the track unless they're running a high stall and slicks. Unless you're willing to give up a lot of streetability with a high stall I think you may actually do better or at the least just as well at the track with a manual. You'd be suprised what difference a good driver can make

Test drive both and I think you'll enjoy the M6 a tad more

All your other stuff is right on.. infact I've got that damn pinion seal leak right now I will say that if you can, look for one that doesn't have the ripped driver's seat side bolster (assuming you buy leather) BUT a car without the tear may be impossible to find. Also, they power window typically fail in a matter of two or three years... so look out for slow moving windows. These are all minor things anyways...
Old 05-24-2003, 08:44 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll be doing a lot of work on the car myself when I get it so it's nice to see there are a lot of helpful people on the board. Right now (don't laugh) I get the info I need from the Civic board for my honda crx. It's not an average crx, JDM engine, and too much to list. At the track it's best was a 13.86@102. I can't wait to get the V8 to smoke all my 4cyl buddies. It's just too hard to keep the rust onder control on hondas plus they're not meant to handle that much power, it seems as though you're going to fly away when your speed gets up there. Plus it's not too practical on the highway.
Basically my goal is just a streetable car that sometimes goes to the track for the day for fun, running high 12's in the 1/4. So maybe a standard should be fine for me. That would make it easier to find a car since most for sale around here are standard.

Hope to join the LT1 group soon!!!

Thanks again,
Rich

Last edited by CoopsLT1; 05-24-2003 at 09:12 AM.