LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

no oil on driver side head, to pull or not to pull?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:23 PM

no oil on driver side head, to pull or not to pull?

I just got ahold of a new project, a 94 auto. The mechanic it was sitting at says the oil contained small amounts of gas and coolant but no shavings and when it starts no oil goes to the drivers side valve cover. It was parked with a slight tick but in running condition. All he could tell me was that it drove there, was parked with those problems, and never fully diagnosed.

could be as little as a head gasket, but the tick and the no oil thing throws me off. I'm thinking the whole thing has gotta come out, but if you guys have ever seen this and can give some advice that would be great.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:47 PM

I decided to start it and drive it into the garage instead of figuring out a way to push it up an incline. It actually started easy and idled fine and didnt clank or tick which was surprising. I didn't let it run for more than 30 sec.

I would like some help or advice. If I can get away with not pulling the motor then I will just do the heads and clean out the junk. How can I test to see if I have water leaking in from anywhere other than the head?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM

It was driven i'm guessing about 15 miles after passing inspection (i have documentation of it passing inspection and it was only 20 miles ago) with idling troubles, which no doubt were the first symptoms of the head gasket failure. So if it went that long without tearing up the bearings, and they still don't seem to be, and passed inspection, then do you think I should be in luck pulling the heads? Would you guys pull the motor from the start or give the heads a try and hope to find warped heads and or blown gaskets? And I'm guessing there is really no point to pull the heads if I get into it and find out the block is warped or cracked, am I right? such a trade-off.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:03 PM

pull it. tear it down. I wouldn't trust anything about that engine.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:28 AM

So what could it hurt to investigate it before you pull it?

This car is a low cost find right? So what's it gona hurt to do a little experimentation?

My suggestion is change the oil. Drain the old stuff into a clean pan that you can see well enough into to see the quality of what comes out.

Next absolute must is a compression test done properly. That is with the injectors turned off, and throttle wide open.

Provided that comes out OK, then a leakdown test is the next order of business. Careful with this one, I've seen many fooled by the sound of rushing air. Also look for bubbles in the coolant.

Think about getting a coolant test kit that looks for exhaust gas in the fluid. Can tell you if the head gasket is blown if it doesn't already show up with the leakdown test.

Followed by an honest to goodness physical oil pressure test.

If all that comes out OK. Remove the valve covers and intake and prime the oil pump manually to see if oil comes up on both heads.

Then ????????

Last edited by Guest47904; 11-11-2009 at 05:31 AM.