LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

NO spark z28 Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM

Re: NO spark z28 Please help

Update....put everything back together...runs the same...BUTTT......I figure something out....if i plug and unplug the sensor thats on the top of intake on the passenger side behind the throttle body, it revs up......if i plug is...idles low 700rpm, unplug, same thing....im thinking its starving of air....once again im still beat :/ any suggestions/ideas
Old 12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by faqz09
im beat...i even tried to put it on a different way and it wouldnt slide on....the rotor faces str8 down and the indexed is slightly to the left...maybe 10degrees if that...i dont know...something i noticed when doing the plug wires....my o2 on my driver side was hot...the ignition was ON but i havent started the car for the day yet...could that be a factor?
You don't have to worrry about where the rotor is pointing. You just have to make sure you have the odd tooth in the correct slot.

The O2 sensors from 94 and up are "heated". When the ignition is on, the system supplies 12V to the heater element to heat the sensors up, whether the engine is running or not.

The sensor on top of the intake manifold behind the TB is the MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. Unplug that, and the PCM can not select the correct timing from the timing table, since it uses MAP as one of the lookups. Ditto with the long term fuel corrections. PCM needs the MAP to know which long term fuel correction cell to use.

Did you install a new distributor? Did you check and loc-tite the rotor screws before you installed it?

Last edited by Injuneer; 12-21-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 PM

Yes I did...I made sure it wouldnt come loose after I put it in...and yes a new distributor from Carbona or something like that....right now I have her idling...she hasnt turned off, the MAP sensor is plugged in BUT in order for her to stay on I had to unplug one of the hoses on the side of the throttle body that goes to the sensor in the back passenger side of the intake...no responce when given gas and exhaust smells SUPER rich
Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Unplug the MAF and see if anything changes.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 PM

actually that whole tube was off but i had it on earlier and it helped the car stay on but still no response from gas pedel with or without
Old 12-22-2011, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Sounds like you may have a problem with the IAC motor if the engine won't idle, but unplugging a vacuum line keeps it running. The smaller of the two lines that attach to the passenger side of the throttle body is the EVAP purge solenoid (not everything with wires attached to it is a "sensor").

Check the IAC motor and make sure it is plugged in:

http://shbox.com/1/iac3.jpg
Old 12-23-2011, 06:09 PM

Ok will do, and something interesting to note....I started the car with the throttle body completely off, I was expecting the car to roar out of control or at least max out rpm but it did nothing, rpms stayed under 700 with NO throttle body at ALL which made me think that it wasnt any senors on the throttle body, what do you think?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Suonds like you may have managed to put the PCM into "limp mode", which is actually pretty hard to do. In effect, you had no MAF sensor, no throttle position sensor, no IAT sensor and the MAP sensor was reading atmospheric pressure = no intake manifold vacuum. The PCM was totally "blind" with regard to air flow.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Ok that sounds like a definate possibility, now my question is, how do I get the pcm out of lipm mode?
Old 12-24-2011, 01:35 PM

Update: I went to the junk yard to get some parts and I saw something crazy. I noticed that the pipe that comes from both exhaust manifolds that lead to that black circular object was not on my car. None of the components previously listed were not on my car. Could this be the problem?
Old 12-24-2011, 04:32 PM

You talking about these?
http://shbox.com/1/diverters.jpg

No they aren't the problem.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:03 PM

yes and the big black thing that they go to... I saw that it had an electrical input and thought maybe it would make the pcm trip.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:47 AM

http://shbox.com/1/temp_sensor1.jpg

the A.I.R pump is completely non existent on my car, or rather the secondary AIR pump, wouldnt that cause an issue? and if not maybe its just my vacuum lines....i saw that one goes to the opti....i dont think I seen that line on my car either
Old 12-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by faqz09
http://shbox.com/1/temp_sensor1.jpg

the A.I.R pump is completely non existent on my car, or rather the secondary AIR pump, wouldnt that cause an issue? and if not maybe its just my vacuum lines....i saw that one goes to the opti....i dont think I seen that line on my car either
Your 94 has an unvented Opti, so there is no vacuum line connected to it (unless someone has replaced the cap with the MSD unit).

The AIR pump only runs at startup for a couple minutes to help the cat heat up faster. Then it shuts off. On the OBD-I cars (93-95) there is a code for the AIR pump, but as long as there is a good fuse in the circuit, the code will not set if you disconnect/delete the AIR pump.

If you have the stock exhaust manifolds, or headers with AIR connections, those holes must be plugged, or you will have a major problem with the exhaust and O2 sensors. When the AIR pump was deleted the hole in the main inlt air ducting between the filter box and the MAF sensor need to be plugged, or your engine will be pulling in dirty air.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:33 PM

Ok thats answers my question..... and i almost thought i had the solution with the opti vacuum but i see the 94 uses a U shaped pcv valve :\ and while i was checking my plugs a few minutes ago i cam across something else. As far as I know the z28 comes with a 350??? They why da hell does my case say 327!!! On both sides.....so apparently they did do a swap, unless im mistaken and some z's came with 327s....I mean if that info helps then I hope we can find a solution, and the lines to the secondary AIR pump are bent to prevent air to enter. Even though its a 327 they used the z28 intake mani so i wouldnt think it would really make a difference I havent checked the vacuum pressure yet and I dont have access to a diagnostics yet but seeing as though the fuel pressure is right im almost certain its a vacuum issue...Another fix I made upon looking through shbox's page, my MAF was on backwards smh, I noticed in the pic the sensor plugged in on the top and mines was facing down, do you think that will fix the problem? I have to get another starter tomorrow and im curious to see if that was it

Quick Reply: NO spark z28 Please help