LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

NO spark z28 Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 AM

Re: NO spark z28 Please help

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You need to add a "Signature" with basic info about your car - year, model, engine, trans and any major mods.

At this point, anyone trying to help you has to go all the way back to page 1/post #1 to see what year car you are asking about. The LT1 has some significant issues from year to year.
There are numbers on the injector harness connectors:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...ilFuelConn.jpg

ADD A SIGNATURE
It's getting hard to take this thread seriously.
To which you reply

Originally Posted by faqz09
I apologize for the pointless post Injuneer, i am a newbie and I really appreciate all of your post and advice....I will keep the future post on the most serious matters
You still haven't added a signature.

You have rarely done what people have suggested. It seems that you have a direction you want to go and you keep asking until you get someone that says go in that direction and you disregard all the rest.

No need to wonder why it's hard to take you serious.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:31 AM

I missed the post about the signature, I apologize, I didn't do a leak down because I'm real short on money, so I wouldn't be able to get the tester, I pulled off the the heads and of course there was water in the cylinders, put the car back together and of course it turned no problem...I have a question though, would the car even start if the timing was wrong?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Hey guys, so I put everything back together, but this time I did a compression test... I only tested one so far but the result was soo bad I'm clueless...on #1 I got 60psi and it didn't even stay up on the Gauge...so would that be caused by my valves? If not then what could cause this?
Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Hey guys, so I put everything back together, but this time I did a compression test... I only tested one so far but the result was soo bad I'm clueless...on #1 I got 60psi and it didn't even stay up on the Gauge...so would that be caused by my valves? If not then what could cause this?
Valves, pistons, rings, head gaskets etc. I'm not an expert, so if there are other things that could be causing your compression problems, as in the "etc.", I'm not sure what they are.

What is the cylinder pressure supposed to be? It's been so long since I tested my engine for compression that I don't remember, I just know that I was pleasantly surprised when I did. Did you let it crank over 5 or 6 times?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_will_...sion_to_be_low

Last edited by BTC; 01-05-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Did you disable the injectors/fuel pump and did you have the throttle plate wide open while you did the comp test?

Does your compression gauge not have a check valve to hold the highest pressure reading? It needs to

Did you set the lash using the EO-IC method and used 0 lash plus 1/2 turn?

Last edited by Guest47904; 01-06-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
Did you disable the injectors/fuel pump and did you have the throttle plate wide open while you did the comp test?

Does your compression gauge not have a check valve to hold the highest pressure reading? It needs to

Did you set the lash using the EO-IC method and used 0 lash plus 1/2 turn?

Im not sure , it was one rented from autozone but it did have a pressure release button, i didnt remove all the plugs but i did unplug the injectors and I just used the key until the psi went up, and I didnt have the throttle open...but that would effect the compression by 100psi????
Old 01-08-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
Valves, pistons, rings, head gaskets etc. I'm not an expert, so if there are other things that could be causing your compression problems, as in the "etc.", I'm not sure what they are.

What is the cylinder pressure supposed to be? It's been so long since I tested my engine for compression that I don't remember, I just know that I was pleasantly surprised when I did. Did you let it crank over 5 or 6 times?

What will cause cylinder compression to be low

Yes I did, i had to in order to get the psi gauge to move, I used the key...but its supposed to be 160 or 170 i believe....mine is ridiculous, only 60psi!!!...sent the heads to the shop...thought i put oil in the cylinder to see if it was the rings but the oil never got in so hopefully its the heads
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Put the car back togther(not done yet)....heres my results...

VIDEO0014.mp4 - YouTube
VIDEO0015 - YouTube
Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 AM

Put the car back togther(not done yet)....heres my results...

VIDEO0014.mp4 - YouTube
VIDEO0015 - YouTube
I posted on your thread on another board. Gee, you can't be taken serious or you just have no clue what you are doing. There is no exhaust piping on those heads!

Last edited by shoebox; 01-10-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 PM

Angry Re: NO spark z28 Please help

Originally Posted by shoebox
I posted on your thread on another board. Gee, you can't be taken serious or you just have no clue what you are doing. There is no exhaust piping on those heads!

I put them on today, one thing I notice is it will idle low then when I hold the gas down it wont respond but after awhile I hear some snap crackle popping and the rpm will jump up(maybe 100rpm)....and sometimes she will cut off and black smoke would come from the throttle body...another thing is the vacuum im getting is 7 in. HA and 0 when throttle is open, also the exhaust is still getting fire red in the back around 8 and 7, another thing, i notice my oil pressure is at a quarter, im not sure where its supposed to be, thats why I made the video, to see if it goes up
heres a video VIDEO0016 - YouTube
SN: I know i have a leak but im not worried about that right now, and I got the car to accelerate but plugging and unplugging the MAP sensor
Old 01-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

OK.. you pulled the heads sent them out, got them back and reinstalled them in what, 2 days? What did the shop do to the heads?

Im not sure , it was one rented from autozone but it did have a pressure release button, i didnt remove all the plugs but i did unplug the injectors and I just used the key until the psi went up, and I didnt have the throttle open...but that would effect the compression by 100psi????
The questions speedy asked were simple "yes or no"..... but your not sure???? Not opening the throttle has a MAJOR impact on compression. With the throttle blades closed, the air that reaches the cylinder is under about 15-20" Hg vacuum. When it's compressed, even at 10.5:1 compression, the resulting pressure isn't going to be very high.

You're supposed to get the engine hot, remove all the plugs, block the throttle blades open, disable the injectors, and crank the engine the same number of cranks on each cylinder test. But based on a totally screwed up compression test, you sent your heads off to a shop.

WHAT DID THEY DO TO THEM?

As I said, this thread gets harder to believe with every new post. I think your playing with us at this point.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

If a compression test is taken on a cold engine, would the readings generally be higher when the engine is warm or hot? I know there are a lot of variables to account for, but I guess my thinking is that if the pistons and rings have expanded a bit, compression would be better on a warm engine. The reason I'm asking is because I think my engine may have been cold when I did my compression test. Is it a big deal if the engine is cold?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:30 PM

As I said, this thread gets harder to believe with every new post. I think your playing with us at this point.
Did you see the video with the engine running without anything connected on the exhaust port side? Pretty impressive blue flames coming from the bare exhaust ports on the heads. I don't think I have ever seen that before. I am not sure what to think of this whole thing, either.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

The fact that I've found the EXACT same posts copied and pasted across 5 other sites leads me to believe we are being used for someone's entertainment. I will continue to read this, but only to moderate it as required.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 PM

I swear to all of you, I have no reason or intent to waste anybodys time, I am just trying to get my baby on the road, and ok i completely messed up the compression test, i will do another maybe tomorrow, I sent the heads off for a valve job and they resurfaced them also, the reason I posted on more then one fourm is to get as many different people to give me their idea as to what could be the cause, i am not joking or messing with anyone, i actually have a life, but what do you all think of the 7 HG...i think thats crazy, i did another video and i had even less(the car was cold) it was less then 5 HG, what could cause that???

Last edited by faqz09; 01-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: NO spark z28 Please help