LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

no start after sitting for a while

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:51 PM

no start after sitting for a while

So im finally able To turn the key and nothing..the engine turns and attempts to fire but nothing. A few more times and the same thing. I decide to try an oil change, I knew something wasnt right When I removed it by Hand, next think I know milky goopy oil start dropping out. Its under the valve covers too.

The car hasnt been tan since a head gasket change in 2011
Old 05-18-2013, 10:05 PM

Was the oil changed after the head gasket fixed? Was the car ran after the fix? Any oil change back then. Pretty much getting at was everything cleaned up nice and no reason to be like it is.. Was the headgasket fix truely fixed(ran it enough afterword and didnt milkshake your oil) Hard to say whats on my mind but add more details. What kind of miles after fix put on car. Any signs of bad oil back then? When it blew did it milkshake your oil?

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 AM

Re: no start after sitting for a while

After the heads blew the engine was pulled torn down and cleaned out then reinstalled. Before it sat we put oil in it and after a few key turns got it to Start for about 10 seconds.

After the 2nd start the car fell on the person working on it so then it sat down for awhile

Mind you there wasnt any milky oil When the head blew but there was white smoke, now after its been sitting theres sludge in the pan and a little in the back of the driverside valve cover. My guess from trying to start with the faulty oil
Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Wow.....I have a convertible camaro with a story similar to yours. that has been sitting for a decade

Check your fuel pressure to make sure its good , check for spark at plugs , did you use some kind of engine flush after you changed the head gasket ??? that you never got around to changing after the accident

Last edited by parkers Z28; 05-19-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Did you use fuel stabilizer, or replace the fuel?

Were you starting the engine once in a while (I know you indicate it hasn't been "tan" (ran)), without letting it warm up? That will cause a lot of water from ring blowby to condense in the oil, and make it milky. Takes a lot of those "didn't let it warm up fully" starts though to turn it into "milky goopy".
Old 05-19-2013, 12:47 PM

Aside from the first two starts its just been sitting. The engine flush might have something to do with it.

It looks like all the oil came out maybe not as much.sludge as i thought but its def old and milky
Old 05-19-2013, 10:15 PM

Im going to run some oil straight through, in and out, a few times until the flow looks clean enough then refill oil with royal purple and try to Start again. Oh and another thing the oil gauge didnt even budge When I Turned the key while attempting to start
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM

No help??? So i drained the oil and ran oil through till it came out gold then tried again it still turns and tries even more so to start now but still nothing
Old 05-20-2013, 04:07 PM

Have you checked the fuel pressure and spark?
Old 05-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Did you do what Fred was talking about
did you have fuel stabilizer in the gas while the car was sitting .. do you have dead gas ?
and I didn't see were you ruled out fuel pressure and spark from plugs...........
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM

If you didnt have fuel stabilizer in when storeing it I would get all the gas out you can(might even with stabilizer) then put about 5 gal in and change fuel filter. Try it. Then check for spark and check fuel pressure. Could have stuck injector or two also. So when checking fuel pressure(given fresh fuel and filter dont get you going) watch for rapid leakdown. If car is flooded put gas pedal to floor while cranking. May also be helpful to cycle key to prime the system a couple times before cranking. Report back what and how you tried things.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:37 AM

Had to take a break and cool down from her for abit lol. But the good news is I got her to fire up but I had to pump the gas pedal to get it goin and when I took my foot off she just cut off. What to do now?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:57 AM
Administrator

You seem upset that you get "No help???".... yet you refuse to answer the simple questions from people who are trying to help you.

Think about it.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You seem upset that you get "No help???".... yet you refuse to answer the simple questions from people who are trying to help you.

Think about it.
Sorry there's been alot going on my way. But the car has not been drivin prior to the head gasket change, and yes I drained the oil before the rebuild
Old 06-02-2013, 11:33 AM

Life can take a toll thats for sure. Go back through about the last five comments and check or share on those. They are fuel condition(if you used stabilizer or drained out old gas and put in fresh. Your fuel pressure. Spark. Condition of fuel filter(if not changed recently would be good to change). I also would look at air filter to be certain its ok. Fuel condition and fuel pressure are were I would start. When checking fuel pressure watch for leakdown after its primed.

Quick Reply: no start after sitting for a while