LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

no start... vats, opti, opti install gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM

no start... vats, opti, opti install gone wrong

Car started missing bad, pulled into my shop, shut it down. Tried to start it back up and it would not start. pulled codes, got code 16. This is a delphi with about 2k miles on it. I also have a autozone opti with lifetime warranty. swapped out my old bad az opti for another reman. installed still no start. have fire at coil, and to 1 and 3 plugs. I have fuel pressure, half tank of fuel. new fuel filter, and I am getting 4 volts to the white wire on my icm. I have power to the one wire on my coil, installed spare coil and icm. no start. I tested my injectors with a 6-12v light tester while cranking engine. I got no flash. Will get noid light and verify no voltage as I do not know if the tester will flash. I also was having problems with my key in my ignition not cycling my fuel pump before this happend could it be the vats? Maybee I installed opti in wrong?????? please help
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 AM

Re: no start... vats, opti, opti install gone wrong

If I remember correctly, an active 16 cuts the fuel system. Did you reset the code and see if it's returning?

As far as the VAT's, I believe it would either be lit or blinking (IP light).
Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM

Yes I reset it and it will not "throw" any codes. I'm thinking my "reman" opti is bad or I installed it wrong. will a 12 light tester display the current for the injectors?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:14 PM

A 12 light tester? Yes a 12v tester will work, but if u don't have access to a real noid light, if u have anything laying around with an led on it, just put the wires from the led on the terminals, and led or a gas bulb come on quicker than say an electrical bulb. But even a little blinker bulb will suffice. But also have u checked your grounds and your connectors for a loose connection? And I had a similar problem when I first got my formula, it was a grounded out wire leading back to the fuel pump. Also if u have a dmm, digital multi meter u may want to measure the resistance of each injector. I think they should each be approx 11 to 14 ohms.

Last edited by brandons94lt1; 02-10-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 PM

my harbor freight noid lights have been loaned out and all I've got is a 6-12v test light, the only ground I tested was the one in the icm loop, I probed a known hot wire and probed the ground in the icm conector. my fuel pump is working and I've got pressure. Does anyone know if the vats shuts the injectors off? It looks like they might hit on the very first fire then their cut off.

As for the vats, I remember pulling a bulb out of the cluster because one I needed was out, my luck I pulled the security light...
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM

When you first cut the key on for few seconds before cranking the engine (when all the lights are tested), which lights come on and which do not?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:22 PM

a bunch, I'll have to go check. I do know the security light does come on. does the opti trigger the injectors to pulse anyone know?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 AM

The low res feedback from the opti provides the signal the PCM requires to do all the timing. That is what I was referring to above.

If the PCM cuts the fuel system out due to a problem, it would have a code for it. If the fuel system is not being pulsed the way it should be and there is NO code. Then look for a mechanical problem, like wiring or connection issues.

Be sure there is 12 volts to the injectors at KOEO. If not check fuses then wiring. If there is 12 volts but no negative (ground potential) pulses, start with connections, then wiring then last PCM. Again, this is if there truly are NOT codes present.

Last edited by Guest47904; 02-13-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:55 PM

I found an old security system, pulled all it out, put my delphi opti back in, and it runs. I had recently installed a shift light and was running wires under the dash. I still don't know how it could have cut the injectors off? it had all kinds of wires teed into the main harness, the airbag wire, and the door locks. Any thoughts on how it did it?