LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

no starting woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 AM

Unhappy no starting woes

alright ive posted about this before but i have since narrowed down what my problems could be and now im just completely stumped and if anyone could help that would be fantastic

- timing gear is lined up
-opti drive is lined up
- im getting fuel pressure to the rails
-im getting spark

the engine turns over and really seems like it wants to start but it just wont do it. if i routed a vacuum line wrong on the intake, would that make it not start? i wouldn't think so but thats about the only thing i can possibly think of as the culprit. anyone have a clue what my problem could be?

i think im gonna try to get a video up here to show you guys because im really getting frustrated at this point haha
Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 AM

Make sure that spline drive is lined up correctly. I swore I had mine on correctly and redid it just in case and mine ended up being slightly off. Have someone else check it just in case.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:45 PM

yup i checked, checked, double checked, rechecked.. its definitly on there correct..

cmon guys no one else can help out? its so nice out today i just wanna drive the dam thing hahah

*edit* i just pulled a plug to check it and it smells like gas,
Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM

are you getting spark to all cylinders? also is the spark from the coil to the opti weak? lash adjusted properly? try these things and see.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:16 AM

im gonna throw on new plugs and a new coil tomarow. lash is close, not set exactly right yet but its good enough it would definitely start

any more ideas?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by sn8ke eatr
yup i checked, checked, double checked, rechecked.. its definitly on there correct..

cmon guys no one else can help out? its so nice out today i just wanna drive the dam thing hahah

*edit* i just pulled a plug to check it and it smells like gas,
Is the opti a new AC Delco? Smelling gas sounds like either a no spark issue or timing is off. You say you are getting a new coil, I would have the ICM tested. You said that you have spark, how are you verifying that. When my rotor detached in my old opti, I would get spark to the cylinder somehow, but it was off and I wouldn't start.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Is the opti a new AC Delco? Smelling gas sounds like either a no spark issue or timing is off. You say you are getting a new coil, I would have the ICM tested. You said that you have spark, how are you verifying that. When my rotor detached in my old opti, I would get spark to the cylinder somehow, but it was off and I wouldn't start.
optis not new but ive tried 2 different ones so im pretty sure its not that,

if i stick the screwdriver in the sparkplug wire and crank it itll make the arch to a ground so im getting spark, i just dont know how strong of a spark it is.

ICM means ignition control moduale correct? how exactly would i get that checked out? i appreciate the help man lol

**nvm i found how to test it myself, thanks man**

Last edited by sn8ke eatr; 03-23-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

you sure the two other opti's you tried worked? mine crapped out on me all of a sudden. ran fine one day, next day it wouldnt start. i had spark and everything. changed the opti and started right up.

i would clean all the plugs and pull the fuel pump relay so you dont keep pumping gas into the engine. its underneath the kick panel where the hood open lever thing is. its a sqaure looking thing. the engine will run for sometime without the fuel pump on. at least then you wont keep fouling your plugs up until yuo figure out whats wrong

Last edited by Pontiac_97; 03-23-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Just because you can get a spark to arc, does not mean its sparking at the right time. You can have your ICM tested at AZ. Make sure to run the test several times back to back in order to heat it up and see if it still passes. Did you perform the opti and spark test per shoebox's website? Good luck with it all.