LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

This is not good....Update on new motor/progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 10:31 AM

This is not good....Update on new motor/progress

I go down to the shop yesterday, and find out the following. Something is very funky with my heads. So I hang out and go to the machine shop with the owner of the place where my car is.

Turns out, my brand new less than 1K miles Manley valves are actually 2.00/1.56 NOT 2.02/1.55 like I was told. But it gets better. The machinest asked me how old this setup was, and when I said <1k miles, he just went wow!! Reason being: The valve stems were mushrooming at the top where the locks hold on!!!!! They were definitely floating as you could see the scoring/discoloration on the locks. WTF right? Well, he checked the seat pressure on the springs. 80 POUNDS OF SEAT PRESSURE!!!!!! I've never over-revved the car, and Joe Prince told me he matched the springs to the cam. I was running an XE lobe 224/230 on this!!! The springs were supposedly Isky drop on's good to .600 lift and easily take 6500 rpm, which I NEVER hit, but now I have my reservations. I will be calling Joe on this as aparrently there was another customer at FBC who had a VERY similar issue.

The valve job was also screwy, as the seats weren't seating properly on ANY of the valves. Some too far inside, some too far to the outside. So it's going to be a new valvejob too.

So, I'm out more cash for a new valvejob, valves (machinest is putting REV valves in there, stongly recommends them), and some minor clean up work.

Either Joe isn't being entirely truthful as to his work/machine shop work, or his machine shop isn't being truthful with him. Either way, I'm buying things I shouldn't be buying at this point.

I don't have any doubts as to the ability in the heads, as 375/363 with the 224/230 is the best I've seen so far, and the car was nasty even with the low compression, but something just isn't right at this point.

Last edited by Fastbird93; 04-10-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:21 PM

Re: This is not good....Update on new motor/progress

Originally posted by Fastbird93

Either Joe isn't being entirely truthful as to his work/machine shop work, or his machine shop isn't being truthful with him.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...&highlight=jpr

i wouldnt buy from them either.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:20 PM

This just gets better. Chris @ AP Engineering (place where my motor is at getting rebuilt) replied to me over on LS1 tech and said he KNOWS why I lost compression on those two cylinders. The ring lands weren't collapsed like usually happens. They were CRUSHED.

Could the head issues have caused the "premature" engine failure???
Old 04-10-2004, 08:20 PM

I guess I could have updated this thread like I did on LS1Tech.

I spoke with Joe Prince about 1 1/2 weeks ago about the heads. He's aparrently had problems with the machine shop my heads were done at, and has since switched machine shops. He's doing a stand up job about making things right, and my hat's off to him. He has the heads at the machine shop right now actually checking over and fixing them. All the problems noted with my heads were machining work, no fault of Joe's at all. The heads performed, nuff said.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:35 PM

if he messed your motor up that bad, make him give you all your money back stuff like that aint right
Old 04-10-2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by chy20k1
if he messed your motor up that bad, make him give you all your money back stuff like that aint right
He didn't. The ring lands were done in from detonation, as it was too lean up top. It was a 108K hard drive stock bottom end, and I knew it's time was going to be short lived in the first place. The motor going south wasn't his fault, or his machine shops. It detonated, crushed a couple ring lands, crap happens.