LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Now on hour 8 of water pump install

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 PM

For future reference there is no need to drain the block or screw with the drain plugs
GASP
That's right... that's what I typed...
The optispark is off the block by a good few inches since it's bolted to the timing cover. That means when you break the w/p bolts loose all you need to do is control the flow of coolant. Get yourself a drip pan (which will aid considerably with the splatter involved with draining coolant). So wiggle on the w/p until the seal is broken and let it drain out of the block ports. When finished there will still be some just on the edge of coming out of the ports so simply lower the car a little bit and then jack it back where it was. That way the ports are now free from coolant.
Once again if you control the flow of coolant then all it will do is trickle down the block and far away from the optispark.
Just FYI...
Old 08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

Drain radiator, pull the lower right hand bolt out of the water pump(from the front) and the rest of the coolant will drain out, jack rear of car up if ya really want to make sure enough is out.

Pull water pump, replace water pump.

DONE!, COld Beer

David
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM

its not hard. on the right of the water pump where the air pump connects there is a double pronged bolt. it has a nut that holds the air pump to the the water pump and there is the actuall bolt the holds the water pump to the block.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 PM

All this is figured out, look at my other post thats the new problem
Old 08-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Sounds like you went into this without preparing for it at all. One of the first mods I ever did to my car was removing the waterpump and opti, and putting new ones in. I researched this site alot before taking it on. I used the Haynes and some things I read on here and it went very easily. I know I am coming off like a *****, but when you come on here acting like it's everythings fault but your own youll get no sympathy from me. Hopefully from now on you'll do a bit more thinking and planning before you just tear stuff apart.

-Dustin-
I'm usually pretty good about researching things before I dive into them..especially back in the day when I had my jeep and constantly beat on it.

But having this be exam week, and then the internet being out for a week because of lightning, and the deadline of having the car ready for saturday to get back home for a wedding didnt give me much time to prepare

and on top of that I kept reading "I did the pump in 30 minutes" when I used the search function, so I didnt think it was too involved.

Originally Posted by Danny McAdams
What in hell are you people trying to do? Your post is the best laugh I've had all day. Gee guys has no one ever given you a clue how to do that job. If you give me your ph# I will try to walk you through it, I will pay for call. Danny Mc
haha

this post was pretty much just a vent. It was just one of those days where it was humid and hot, and we're doing it in the parking lot and things are just a mess. I wasn't planning on pulling/moving all the things we did and the haynes didnt really help at all.

We blazed through it putting it back together though and I bet I could probably get it done MUCH faster now that I know all the tricks and stuff that needs to move.

But I do beleive we fudged up when we added the coolant

I think theres probably a lot of air in the system, but after a test drive and a race against an 03 cobra, things were runnin fine so who knows.

Thanks for all your help though
Old 08-04-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
For future reference there is no need to drain the block or screw with the drain plugs
GASP
That's right... that's what I typed...
Werd. I've never drained the block to do a WP/opti swap.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:58 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I did drain my block to the point where coolant was no longer coming out the front of the engine. There are probably alternative approaches to prevent that from happening.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:19 AM

Maybe the beer was flowing BEFORE the coolant was
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Hmm, wouldn't this be a good place to start a project like this : http://shbox.com/1/how_tos.html
Old 08-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by micfly83
I'm usually pretty good about researching things before I dive into them..especially back in the day when I had my jeep and constantly beat on it.

But having this be exam week, and then the internet being out for a week because of lightning, and the deadline of having the car ready for saturday to get back home for a wedding didnt give me much time to prepare

and on top of that I kept reading "I did the pump in 30 minutes" when I used the search function, so I didnt think it was too involved.

Understood.

haha

this post was pretty much just a vent. It was just one of those days where it was humid and hot, and we're doing it in the parking lot and things are just a mess. I wasn't planning on pulling/moving all the things we did and the haynes didnt really help at all.

We blazed through it putting it back together though and I bet I could probably get it done MUCH faster now that I know all the tricks and stuff that needs to move.

But I do beleive we fudged up when we added the coolant

I think theres probably a lot of air in the system, but after a test drive and a race against an 03 cobra, things were runnin fine so who knows.

Thanks for all your help though
-Dustin-
Old 08-05-2007, 05:46 PM

i followed this site and did an opti and waterpump in 4 hours...
http://www.houston-f-body.org/tech/optispark/