LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Now No Start...fuseable link HOT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Now No Start...fuseable link HOT?

This whole issue started with a misfire that I could not track down. gave up and bough a new opti...seemed to have helped. Drove it a few times with no issues. Then it started to get that strange misfire that would clear itself up after just a few minutes. Was told that the coil could be the issue this time. Replaced coil...went for test drive. still had slight misfire at low RPMs...then cleared up.

Parked it for a few hours and then went back down to crank it because I had to go somewhere...nothing happens. No clicks, no clunks...nothing. Have electrical power, but when the key is turned all lights go dim, and thats about it. Then I noticed a burning smell. Ran over and one of the fuesable links is smoking, but only one bundle(two wires with same terminal). As far as I can tell all grounds are tight, battery is showing power, but I have no idea where else to look. Obviously i'll have to now fix the hole in the link insulation(guess it just got too hot), but what else can I suspect??
Old 05-09-2009, 08:42 PM

well looking around I saw some of that black plastic that holds wires together melted from header heat. Its the wires for the lead to starter, knock sensor, and PCM ground. So I thought that maybe the PCM ground wire has shorted out. I disconnected it and turned the key to see what happened and the motor turned(only held it briefly, didn't want that link to get hot or anything again.) problem is I dont see any openings in any of those wires that were bundled or any burn/melting points.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM

well, I re-rapped the wires with some of that plastic tubing and some heat tape. then tried to move them as far away from the headers as I could. There is just no good way to do that with the headers it seems. Hooked everything up, and it fired right up.
Not sure what to make of it and cant guarantee it wont happen again.