LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

odd noise when i shut off my car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 10:45 PM

Question odd noise when i shut off my car...

so i just got done installing the XE224/230 and noticed now when i shut off my car i get this strange rattle noise from the front of the engine i think. it really sounds like its down by the crank but i cant tell for certain and the noise isnt present while the cars running or you cant hear it anyway. should i be concerned? im gonna do some more investigating tomorrow but thought id get some opinions tonight at least. btw my oil pressure is great... didnt lose any from the new cam incase someone asks. the car runs great too so this is kind of a mystery and really the only annoyance so far.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:48 PM

What did you use for a timing chain? Need more info on what you did.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:56 PM

i used a cloyes. the hub gave me a good battle to get back on.. might that be part of the issue. to be totally honest i cant say for sure its even on ALL the way but very very close.. i gave up when it wouldnt move anymore but there was still a fresh metal line if you knwo what im talkin about that i thought indicated it needed to be pushed on further. what do you think about that?
Old 05-22-2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
i used a cloyes. the hub gave me a good battle to get back on.. might that be part of the issue. to be totally honest i cant say for sure its even on ALL the way but very very close.. i gave up when it wouldnt move anymore but there was still a fresh metal line if you knwo what im talkin about that i thought indicated it needed to be pushed on further. what do you think about that?
I suspected your timing chain was rubbing on the timing cover. If you think the crank gear is not on all the way, you need to correct that. It should be flush with the boss on the end of the crank.

I have heard that the Cloyes will occasionally rub even when everything is on correctly. Some timing covers need a little relief on the inside for clearance.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:21 PM

oh i clearanced the timing cover pretty good so im sure its not rubbing. come to think of it.. that sound is a lot like a rattling clutch or throwout bearing... another problem my car is having do you think its possible to get that crank hub on crooked or not entirely straight if its on basically all the way? it seems like the tight fitment would prevent this from happening butcha never know... my car doesnt shake like its outta balance though.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:28 PM

sounds like the convertor

like rattling *****, kinda? Mine does it too.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:30 PM

take the convertor bolts out, push....

the convertor back, start it and turn it off, you will see.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
oh i clearanced the timing cover pretty good so im sure its not rubbing. come to think of it.. that sound is a lot like a rattling clutch or throwout bearing... another problem my car is having do you think its possible to get that crank hub on crooked or not entirely straight if its on basically all the way? it seems like the tight fitment would prevent this from happening butcha never know... my car doesnt shake like its outta balance though.
Don't see how the gear could go on crooked. There is just not enough clearance for that to happen.

I know you can no longer see inside to where it meets the front of the crank, but with the hub removed you could give it some taps with a hammer and pipe to see if it is seated. It gives a much more solid thump when it is all the way on.

I noticed on mine that the last little bit of installing the crank gear was tough (not a Cloyes). There was no way I was going to close it up without knowing that the gear was fully seated, though. I did finally get it all the way on.

You might want to put it up on ramps and have someone else turn it off while you are under, listening. You want to make sure you are chasing the right noise.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by shoebox

You might want to put it up on ramps and have someone else turn it off while you are under, listening. You want to make sure you are chasing the right noise.
yep tomorrows project i really beat the hell outta that hub till it absolutely wouldnt budge anymore but i was still a little concerned about that fresh metal line that i figured should have been covered by the timing cover when fully seated. i even tried to pull the hub on with the bolt but stopped a short for fear of twisting it off.
Old 05-22-2003, 11:40 PM

once the hub bolt is torqued to like 80 ft lbs the gear is on, trust me.

ttt
Old 05-23-2003, 10:18 AM

I get the same noise sometimes(for three sec. after you turn the car off). Sounds more electrical than mech. Im pretty sure that it is your ABS system. I have a stock car for the most part and my car does that. I was doing something on my car. I think when I lowered it, not sure though and I pinpointed what was the problem. Once I connected something back after the install then it stopped but I can't remember. I hope this gives you a clue to where to look if it is the same problem.