LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

The official "I'm screwed" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:05 PM

Anyone have a good idea on how much cam bearings are?
Old 05-11-2004, 02:44 AM

Well I had the same happen to me...front cam bearing was bad. Decided to pull it apart to check the other cam bearings as well, and main and rod, might as well replace those while I had it apart so I did, cylinders were slightly oval so I bored it, new pistons, rings and whatnot
Mine's also a 55-60k car.
Started up with as a head and camchange only. Ended with just the crank, rods and pushrods still stock.
One of those "I'm just going to" that went like many things before...a "tad" bit more than expected. So take the cost you predict...and then at least double it, and there you have a ballpark.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 AM

lookin forward to those pics then we can know more.......
Old 05-11-2004, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Dan_gearhead
Well I had the same happen to me...front cam bearing was bad. Decided to pull it apart to check the other cam bearings as well, and main and rod, might as well replace those while I had it apart so I did, cylinders were slightly oval so I bored it, new pistons, rings and whatnot
Mine's also a 55-60k car.
Started up with as a head and camchange only. Ended with just the crank, rods and pushrods still stock.
One of those "I'm just going to" that went like many things before...a "tad" bit more than expected. So take the cost you predict...and then at least double it, and there you have a ballpark.
That is exactly what the guy at the shop said. He also said sometimes you don't want to know what might be bad and just drive the car. I have to agree.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by JeffK
Anyone have a good idea on how much cam bearings are?
$20 a set or so for stock type.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by JeffK
Sending it as I type this....Thanks.
A picture can be found here
Old 05-11-2004, 06:19 PM

Well, I told them today to replace the front bearing. I have yet to hear how the button up went. Should be running by tomorrow...
Thanks for posting the pic. I appreciate it.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by toby360
A picture can be found here
Old 05-11-2004, 06:35 PM

There must have been extenuating circumstances for that bearing to be that chewed up with those amount of miles. My 95k mile front bearing did not look that bad.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:50 PM

note to all

your not supposed to put synthetic oil in a motor with fresh bearings...aka a new car.

wait until you have about 30,000 on the clock before starting with synthetic.

synthetic oil will not let bearings break in like they are supposed to do. it works that well.. you must let your cam/crank and their bearings wear in and create room for the synthetic oil.

i use synthetic as well, pulled mine apart and it looks fine... go figure..
Old 05-11-2004, 06:57 PM

The first 2 changes after my rebuild i used dino oil but have switched to synthetic since. This isn't going to be a problem I hope?
Old 05-11-2004, 08:58 PM

You are not gonna believe this...
Last night I emailed GM off of their website telling them of my ordeal. Within 15 or so minutes I received a response back. Typical stuff like "we do not recommend modifying your GM vehicle" and the usual fluff.
I emailed them back with the picture of the bearing and told them to show it to anyone and ask the question of how many miles they think are on it.
I received a call from the very same person tonight.
Completely stunned me. She wanted more info and asked if I have taken it to a dealership yet to get it analyzed. I told her I would have to check to see if the shop has buttoned it up yet.
If they have buttoned it up, anyone work at a Chevy dealership in Dallas who wants to vouch for me? Maybe they are finally listening to a customer????
Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by limige
note to all

your not supposed to put synthetic oil in a motor with fresh bearings...aka a new car.

synthetic oil will not let bearings break in like they are supposed to do. it works that well.. you must let your cam/crank and their bearings wear in and create room for the synthetic oil.

i use synthetic as well, pulled mine apart and it looks fine... go figure..
So, someone tell me again why new Corvettes (and some other new cars) come with synthetic oil in them?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:13 PM

Ouch Jeff, I know the feeling well. I always liek to think the more b.s your car puts you through with mods, the faster it will be. Good luck man and keep on working at it.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by limige
note to all

I guess that's why GM puts synthetic in the LT1s, LT4s, LS1s and LS6s from the factorys, and why SLP had an option of synthetic on their LT1 & LS1 Firehawks/SSs, and was standard on the LT4 Firehawks/SSs.

As another reference point, when I had the cam changed in my 95 LT1 at 45K miles, the bearings were perfect. That car had synthetic from the first oil change, and was run very hard. I would be wondering what else was going on in the engine at this point to have caused that kind of wear.

Quick Reply: The official "I'm screwed" thread