LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

oh my god!horrible dyno numbers cc306 take a look!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:27 PM

Re: oh my god!horrible dyno numbers cc306 take a look!!!

did u guys degree the cam correctly when u installed it?

-john
Old 02-08-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro_Guru16NY
did u guys degree the cam correctly when u installed it?

-john
that i can not answer cause i was not there when it went in.but i can say this i have been fixing mistakes made by the guy who did the install since it was done but i figured to myself that if it was that or he had a tooth off it would run crappy.man im so confused i mean cause if i pay someone to reinstall the cam there is a possibility it may not be the answer.this sucks!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:51 PM

Are you able to log the car at all?

Getting fuel? All the wires connected solid (and correct) on the opti? I crossed 2 wires and my car seemed to run pretty smooth considering it had the stock tune, then I found the wires and the power that I thought it should have had. Don't overlook the smallest things.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:18 PM

at the time of my last dyno I had all the mods you have and I only got 316hp 336tq. I even have ported heads. So I'm thinking mail order tunes only get you so far then you have to pay for dyno tuning to really dial you in right.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Something else is amiss. Even though I'm not a huge fan of mail order tunes, there is no way it's off by that much. Your car has other issues. In your quest to find the issue, fix one thing at a time and test it. You'll chase your tail throwing parts at it or swapping multiple parts at once.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:00 AM

Did you dyno the car before the install and get a set of base numbers, Perhaps the numbers are for real and the motor is just tired...

Hopefully this isnt the case and it can be fixed

-john
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM

yeah that was my problem too. My motor went out about a month after my dyno. Now I have a new one and it runs much better and stronger. Might be something to check into.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:34 PM

I decided to have a leakdown test done on thursday. I really can't think of anything else to do and a leakdown will tell me if the cam is a tooth off or my motor is not sealing. What do you guys think? Should i go ahead and do the leakdown for 150?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Test the compression in each cylinder too. And if you can you should log it - this will give you a bit more information than guessing on some things. How's your fuel pressure BTW?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:53 PM

I'm sure my mechanic will test all the cylinders. The fuel pressure ratio was almost perfect on the dyno.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:57 PM

I would suggest adjust the rockers with the car running. If your timing is off 1 tooth it will hurt your horsepower ALOT. There is NO way to degree a LT1 cam, the only way is to custom grind it on LT1 cars. You just install the cam and align the timing gears dot to dot install the chain while doin that and your all set. Thats why there is a dowel pin on the end of the cam and at the end of the cam gear is a hole for the dowel.

my opinions...double check the rockers with the car running, make sure all cylinders are firing. (start the car and let it idle for 45 sec then shut it off) Then feel each tube on the header and make sure each one is warm, if you find a cold one that cyl has issues. This is just an estimate I prefer using my tech 2's cylinder graph
Old 02-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 396D1SS
I would suggest adjust the rockers with the car running. If your timing is off 1 tooth it will hurt your horsepower ALOT. There is NO way to degree a LT1 cam, the only way is to custom grind it on LT1 cars. You just install the cam and align the timing gears dot to dot install the chain while doin that and your all set. Thats why there is a dowel pin on the end of the cam and at the end of the cam gear is a hole for the dowel.

my opinions...double check the rockers with the car running, make sure all cylinders are firing. (start the car and let it idle for 45 sec then shut it off) Then feel each tube on the header and make sure each one is warm, if you find a cold one that cyl has issues. This is just an estimate I prefer using my tech 2's cylinder graph
I adjusted the rockers with the car off bumping the motor over and then once the rockers were at 0 lash i turned them 1/4 a turn. I don't have the comp r lifters so this should be fine.

Wouldn't a leakdown tell me if he didn't get the dots lined up perfectly? I would think i would have intake and exhaust leaks on every cylinder right?

if a cylinder was not firing or not firing as well as the others i should be able to see this in my hp cure on the dyno right?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:59 PM

btw the car does not smoke at all never has i dont dog it.something is wrong yes but im not ready to say i need a rebuild.im doing the leak down in the morning.even a tired motor with all the mods should have a little better numbers especially on the torque side right?btw as smooth as the graph is it kinda rules out electrical possibilites and spark problems what gives!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 PM

hey man, what are you considering 0 lash? where there is so much pressure on the pr you cant turn it or just say max pressure at the point of not turning? who are you having work on it here in town? i would have thought you would have gotten a little more than that even on stock heads but like we discussed before, you will only get so much out of a stock head and that big cam. a smaller cam may net you better gains at this point until you can get some better heads. i hope that isnt what it is for your sake, maybe it is something simple. check those rockers quick though, i have seen a few people roll the lobes on their cam due to being to tight.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:39 AM

man those #'s are LOW!!!! I dynoed 310 RWHP 330 RWTQ with just LT's, Borla, pulley, CAI, and LT4 KM!!!!

Quick Reply: oh my god!horrible dyno numbers cc306 take a look!!!