LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Unhappy Oil

I posted here last week, thought I had it fixed, but evidently not

My crazy 95Z. First, I had a very BAD oil leak. I only was able to see where it was coming from when I had it on the lift, and the car was actually idling. It was really bad, it had gotten to the point that it had sprayed all under the car while I was driving, and I had to repaint everything under my car :O

And while it would sit, and be idling, it would leak about a cup of oil a minute!! WELL, we thought we found the problem. While it was on the lift, we could see oil GUSHING out of one of the line up pins for the timing chain cover. It was the pass. side. But it was just gushing out of that hole. I couldn't believe my eyes! And see, the oil that was all under the car, it was just mainly on the passenger side (header, y-pipe). It was extreme, I had to sand and recoat the headers once already.

Well, we took off the balancer pulley, and tapped out that timing chain pin's hole. Just enough to get a very small set screw in there (5/16), to block the leak. That worked w/ some loctite, it seemed like it took care of the leak. We would let it idle, and see no leaks under there. I drove it some, and it seemed like I seen another drop of oil, but figured it was oil from the previous leak. And it was just one drop, so I didn't think anything.

This weekend we went to the Super Chevy in Bristol. Everything seemed fine. I didn't see any oil under the car while we were there. It was about a total of 460 miles. Well, when I got back home, I looked under the car after it had cooled off I seen it again. The pass. side header and pass. side of the y-pipe had oil ALL over them again. I cannot UNDERSTAND where this oil is coming from. But from laying under the car, it looked like it was coming from the same area, and maybe above that screw we put in.

Is it possible for the Opti to leak oil? It looks a little oily under the Opti, but it doesn't seem like it would be the cause. This is the second Opti, this car has 94k miles on it.

I am really lost here, and I haven't had it back on the lift to look at this issue, b/c we just returned last night. But I could get some suggestions, or ideas on where this is coming from, I would really appreciate it. I am sure some of yall have seen stuff like this before. If it sits, I can't see any obvious spots.

FYI, I don't think I have an intake leak, valve cover leak, or oil pan leak. I checked all of those, and if it were one of those, I would think it would be more obvious. I can't feel anything behind the intake, it was put on about 20k ago, (LT4 intake) And I didn't *see* anything in the rear seal area.

It just seems like that when I give it gas, the oil is coming from somewhere.

I will give you a little more history on this, IF it matters. I had put a Metco breather on the pass. side valve cover. I didn't have any of these issues until I put this breather on (about 2 months ago). Of course I took it off after I seen the first sign of these leaks. I put the regular oil cap on, cleaned up, and didn't see any more problems for about a month. Then one day last week, it all started again, and that is when we had to tap out that hole a little, and put in a set screw. It did alright for a few days, then I go to Bristol, and I have it starting again. But the hole where we put the screw, is dry as a bone. So, did the leak move to another location, or was there more than one leak?

It just looks like it is coming from somewhere in the timing chain area, but nowhere you can *see*. I know this is a lot, but I hope that some of yall can give me some pointers, or maybe seen it before?

This is really driving me crazy. I really really need to get this fixed. And why would the oil spray just be on the pass. side of the car?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:26 AM

Re: Oil

Check the dipstick tube entry point at the block. I have heard of these leaking and it would seem to match up with the placement of oil on the pass side y-pipe header.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:34 AM

Re: Oil

Originally Posted by RocCityZman
Check the dipstick tube entry point at the block. I have heard of these leaking and it would seem to match up with the placement of oil on the pass side y-pipe header.
That is a good idea. I will check that. But wouldn't it leak over night as well?
When we put the LTs on a couple of years ago, it had to moved around a little, and we ended up having to get a new dip stick. But that has been since 02 maybe?

This oil seems to only come out when it is being driven, or idling. And I still do see a very small stream line in the area that we plugged. But a little higher than the pass. side timing chain line up pin. And I can see hints of oil under the opti. I don't see any oil around the front main seal either. It seems the sides of the block are dry. I just don't know where to look now, except I will try the idea of the oil dipstick.

Thanks for the reply, I hope to get more.

And the WP has a Meziere on it, and it was put on about 20k ago as well.