LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil dipstick hitting main caps.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:45 PM

Oil dipstick hitting main caps.

Ok i just read through 20 pages of search results for "dipstick" and couldn't find the answer. I am almost done putting this car together, its down to this little stuff now. My stock dipstick is hitting the splayed main cap. I mean the stick not the tube, I have cut the tube down and it fits in just fine. The actual dipstick will not push all the way in. I have trimmed a bit off the end of the stick, right to the bottom of the bottom hole. I rounded the corners over and tried again but it still won't work. Buddy of mine has a TH350 tranny dipstick from lokar that is made of rubbery plastic and snakes it way through the braided hose with no problem. I thought that "flexible" dipsticks were all the same so I ordered the flexible Milidon(cheaper than the lokar and looks about the same) dipstick from Summit. It got here today and its made of metal. Question is, before I open this thing, will this skinny round metal dipstick bend past the main cap? Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does anyone make a plastic oil dipstick?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:08 PM

Re: Oil dipstick hitting main caps.

Did you trim the main cap at all to clear the dipstick? I read an article a while back on this in Super Chevy. They ended up grinding some material from the main cap so the dipstick wouldn't bottom out on it.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Re: Oil dipstick hitting main caps.

no i did not trim the cap. The pan isn on, its all sealed up and installed in the car man that sucks. i was jsut out there tinkering somemore and i cut a little more off both the pipe and the stick and now i can get it to seat in the tube but i have to force it pretty good i think i will go ahead and open the Mildon tomorrow and see what happens with it.