LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil Galley "Ball" Under Rear Main Cap

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Oil Galley "Ball" Under Rear Main Cap

I have seen a few threads regarding the check ball that is under the main rear cap - I did a google search regarding this and found this site:

http://www.ellweinengines.com/KingERE3/KingERE3.htm

If you refer to the fourth picture down to the right, it shows the area where the ball is supposed to be at, and the builder says that he uses a "soft core plug" instead of the ball. Oil galley plug. Factory has a steel ball in that oil galley. I use a soft core plug. If that galley is not plugged then the oil filter will be bypassed and oil pressure will indicate somewhat higher than normal.

Now after having said all of that, has anyone had any experience with plugging that area?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

I think that is quickSS so ask him
Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I think that is quickSS so ask him
yeah it is, just pm him and i am sure he would be happy to elaborate on his feelings with it
Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

I've been using a plug in place of the factory ball for all of my engines. The plug comes in a standard SBC engine freeze plug kit.

As for what happens if you don't have that ball or plug.... I think I'm one of the few that are of the opinion that oil pressure will raise instead of go to zero.
In other words, it's not the end of the world if someone re-built an LT1 and forgot to install that plug. I know of one engine that has been running very well for 2 years now and the plug was not installed. (a friend of mine forgot to put it in). In that case frequent oil changes are a must.

I have looked at the Helm's factory service manual for the 94-96 B-body (LT1) and it shows the oil circuit. That plug simply devides the inlet passage from the outlet passage of the oil filter. Without the plug then the filter is bypassed and oil goes directly to the main oil galley and lubricates the engine (but with unfiltered oil).

I don't know if this answers the question. I kinda think the OP was looking for other peer opinions and not just my opinion. Let's here them them guys.

Karl Ellwein
Old 03-31-2008, 07:43 AM

I also wanted to bring to light that there seems to be a discrepancy between what's thought to be the results of not having that plugged with either the ball or a plug.