LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil leak question....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 12:24 PM

Question Oil leak question....

I have a small oil leak-I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from. When I looked under the car, I noticed fresh oil actually on the side of the starter (not a lot though). It drips right in that area. I looked real good under the hood, cleaned the engine bay real good, and stuck my hand behind the engine, but I can't see anything. It doesn't leak very bad, but I need to go ahead and fix. Where could this be coming from, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:27 PM

Check>>

check the rear of the intake or the rear main seal. Apply something around that area like baking soda powder and when the leak starts to run, you can pinpoint where it may be leaking from. Try it, it might solve your headache.
Old 05-14-2003, 02:35 PM

Re: Oil leak question....

Originally posted by ryan75
I have a small oil leak-I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from. When I looked under the car, I noticed fresh oil actually on the side of the starter (not a lot though). It drips right in that area. I looked real good under the hood, cleaned the engine bay real good, and stuck my hand behind the engine, but I can't see anything. It doesn't leak very bad, but I need to go ahead and fix. Where could this be coming from, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.
It's most likely that the seal around your intake manifold is leaking. While it was originally thought to be the intake manifold gasket itself leaking, it's now found to be the sealant being used. The reason is a gasket is only applied to the left and right sides of the manifold while the front and back are sealed with RTV sealant. If the sealant is applied to a surface which isn't clean, the oil will be able seep through. This is why the oil leak is usually found at the rear of the engine (dripping down onto the transmission). It can be easily mistaken for a rear main seal leak. And since the RTV sealant is used on the front of the intake manifold, it's not uncommon to find it leaking there too. A classic symptom of this intake leak is a rough cold idle.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:13 PM

It's probably the intake, like said above. One way to see if it's the rear main seal is to take off the torque converter cover (or clutch cover I guess, not familiar with manuals) and look to see if there is oil in there. If it's dry, then it's not the main seal. It would leak all over the clutch or torque converter if it was a rear main seal. If there is oil on the cover and everywhere else with nothing underneath the cover, then it's probably the intake gasket/seal.

My intake seal is leaking, and oil is everywhere underneath the car. It will seem like it's coming from the side of the engine block. That's how mine is right now--going to have to replace that gasket/seal soon too myself.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:24 PM

Thanks a lot guys. As I mentioned, it isn't leaking bad (yet). It is pretty clean under the car, just in the starter area have I seen fresh oil deposits.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:42 PM

Thanks a lot guys. As I mentioned, it isn't leaking bad (yet). It is pretty clean under the car, just in the starter area have I seen fresh oil deposits.
My car has been doing the same thing for the last 3 years and 30K miles. I noticed it a little bit more when I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. The engine still doesn't use any oil and I don't have any drips in the driveway. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets to the point where you are dripping in the driveway or having to add oil between oil changes.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:55 PM

Actually, I did add some oil last week, it was a little low. I have seen spots in the garage, but what's weird is sometimes it doesn't leak (or drip).
Old 05-15-2003, 03:56 PM

Actually, I did add some oil last week, it was a little low. I have seen spots in the garage, but what's weird is sometimes it doesn't leak (or drip).
the leak will get worse its just a matter of time, if you have the time get it done and not have to worry about it in the future
Old 05-19-2003, 12:18 PM

I looked under my car again this past weekend, and I noticed that there is fresh oil on the bottom of my header flange (at the very back). There is also a little on top as well. Can the oil leak out of the exhaust port (where my header flange is bolted up to the head), or is it maybe leaking somewhere else on the head or valve cover? It is hard for me to tell exactly where it is leaking, since it isn't real bad. My MAC headers came with the gaskets, but I was thinking that is to prevent exhaust from leaking out-or am I wrong?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:22 AM

Cool

Might pull the #8 plug and see if it is all gunky looking.If it is,then intake manifold leak.Also,check the oil cooler(if you have one)for leaks as well.My02