LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

oil pump question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 12:06 AM

oil pump question

is the stock pickup tube on the oil pump 5/8" or 3/4"? I am buying a higher volume pump and i need to know. After i install the new pump, i have to prime her, right? Do you prime an LT-1 just like you would any other small block chev?

When you install new lifters, it's a good idea to let them soak in a oil for a little while, right? Doesn't this load them up a lil, so they dont collapse on ya when you first run the car?

Lastly, i plan on swapping to 1.6 RR's, what is the stock rocker stud size? 3/8" or 7/16"?

sorry for the simple questions, but it's the small stuff that i need to know.

much appreciated,
trav
Old 12-31-2003, 07:34 AM

A high volume pump is a bad idea unless you plan on being at the upper rpm range for long periods of time. Ask any good machine shop. The HV pump will put too much oil at the top of the engine. The standard volume pump does a more than adequate job of providing oil flow. I have a Std flow pump in my 383. I got the melling with the pickup already welded in and it has a support arm for the pickup that is bolted to one of the pump cover bolts. It came from Stef's in Lakewood NJ. It is however made for their oil pan.

A good pump is here.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...-m55&x=19&y=12

A good pickup is here.
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...8301&x=15&y=11
The catalog incorrectly states this is a big block pickup. Be sure to check clearance to the bottom of the pan when ever you change pickups and or pumps.

Sorry I can't answer the tube size question.

As far as priming is concerned, you do prime the engine the same way as any other SBC BUT you have to remove the intake to get to the oil pump drive. That's because the shaft is bolted to the lifter valley under the intake since the distributor (opti) is located up front.

Soaking in oil is always a good idea. Stock studs are 3/8".

You do however need to investigate if the stock springs can handle the extra .030 lift the 1.6's will provide. I don't know what the stock spring coil bind height is. I would say if the engine has a lot of miles on it, you should change the springs anyway. At that time it would be prudent to change to springs that will provide enough clearance for the increased lift but still work at the stock length. I've heard a lot of people just changed rockers. I'm sure someone will chime in on that. Do however check valve stem to guide clearance while you're there and replace the seals of course.

Good luck and happy new year!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 12:18 PM

thanks for the reply man. The pump i am gettting isn't neccessarily a "high volume" pump, it's better to describe it as a "slightly higher volume" pump. I got a deal through my work on a melling pump. I fully intend on tearing down my motor here in a few weeks and i want to replace the stock pump with something a little better while i am in there.

As far as the stud question goes, i do plan on replacing the spring with a set that can handle .600" to match my new cam, but i wanted to be certain what size the studs were to make sure i get the right parts.

With the pickup size question, there are two different options on the sizes, and again i want to make sure i order the right stuff. If all else fails, i will just call the parts department at a dealership and they can tell me.

i really appreciate the reply

trav