LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Re: Oil Pump Replacement

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Cool, when you're done with yours come on up and finish my new build for me.
I love working on it. I just sold my motorcycle so I could spend a few more dollars on the car. You got pics of your build?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by pgerst
Picture of gear wear, sorry I have such a hard time uploading photos. I will try as link this time.
DSCF0382[1] | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I don't see failure of the drive gear from that pic.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jeremyhurt
I love working on it. I just sold my motorcycle so I could spend a few more dollars on the car. You got pics of your build?
Just some finished pictures of the engine assembled on the stand.

New Build pictures by Mystery_Bird - Photobucket
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I don't see failure of the drive gear from that pic.
Shoebox -- There is a wear pattern starting about 1/3 of the way in from the left of the image, not sure if that is "normal" for the gear drives (almost 120K on that drive unit) or if that is from the last 5000 miles of HV pump? I am going to call Herron Performance (makes the billet drive) and see if they have any info on whether the HV pump failure can be avoided with a billet drive and/or composite gear for the long term remote oil cooler plan. My clutch is not in a happy place right now so will put in the SV pump at that time until can determine a definate cause and fix for the HV pump gear failure.

Also I am going to release this thread as a hostage and will post up a summary of what I can gather as a separate post relating to HV oil pumps. Sorry jeremyhurt for the partial hijack.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:28 PM

Shoebox -- There is a wear pattern starting about 1/3 of the way in from the left of the image, not sure if that is "normal" for the gear drives (almost 120K on that drive unit) or if that is from the last 5000 miles of HV pump? I am going to call Herron Performance (makes the billet drive) and see if they have any info on whether the HV pump failure can be avoided with a billet drive and/or composite gear for the long term remote oil cooler plan. My clutch is not in a happy place right now so will put in the SV pump at that time until can determine a definate cause and fix for the HV pump gear failure.

Also I am going to release this thread as a hostage and will post up a summary of what I can gather as a separate post relating to HV oil pumps. Sorry jeremyhurt for the partial hijack.

Not sure what you think a used gear is supposed to look like, but that gear looks beyond excellent for having that many miles on it...not even the beginning of a step or wear.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
Not sure what you think a used gear is supposed to look like, but that gear looks beyond excellent for having that many miles on it...not even the beginning of a step or wear.
Well, I have physically seen two gears, the one in photo with 120K on it and a new one, so that is my range of experience. May not show up in the photo so well but there is a wear pattern, shows up best on the face of the top two teeth in the photo, starting about 1/3 of the way from the left in the photo and ending about the midpoint. My concern was that wear mark is "new" (ie, last 5000 miles from the HV pump) and is the beginning of the failure. Sounds like that is normal wear; I am going to put the new gear on since I have it out and swap to a SV pump when I do the clutch shortly. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Just some finished pictures of the engine assembled on the stand.

New Build pictures by Mystery_Bird - Photobucket
That is sexy... how do you keep those headers from draggin?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 PM

LOL its cool man.. I have learned a lot from this thread.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by jeremyhurt
That is sexy... how do you keep those headers from draggin?
They are Hookers, not even close to the ground.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:41 PM

They are Hookers, not even close to the ground.

My car sits to low. I have headers like that and they wanna drag. I ordered some hooker shorties and they wont fit because of the motor mounts. I need to get some headers quick. That is all that going to keep my from having the car running this weekend.