LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Oil Smells Like Gas, and Oil Coming Out Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 PM

Red face Oil Smells Like Gas, and Oil Coming Out Exhaust!

Today while adjusting my new catback I noticed that there was oil on the inside of the tips. I got supsicious and checked the oil. What do you know it stinks of gas, and the oil is only 50 miles old! I parked the car right away, and now I need to figure out what is causing it I am pretty sure it's not the piston rings since I just smelled my old oil and no gas there. Before chaging the oil I changed my leaky intake manifold gasket. So I am pretty sure that the problem is related to it.

I know a leaking injector would cause gas in the oil, but I don't think it would let oil into the exhaust, right? I also suspect that I installed the intake gasket wrong. I followed one of the online guides, and only put RTV on the front and back of intake as the guide said, but after installing it I read that I should have put it on the whole way around. I correctly torqued the manifold, and thoroughly cleaned the mating surfaces, so the lack of RTV is the only thing I can think of.

Please give me some opinions of what you think guys, I have most of the week to do my research before I'll have a chance to work on the car, so I want to be reasonably certain of the problem before I tear off the manifold again. What a PITA that is.

Last edited by maksik7; 05-02-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Re: Oil Smells Like Gas, and Oil Coming Out Exhaust!

I wouldn't run it until you find out why your oil smells like gas. What color is your exhaust smoke Blue (burning oil with the fuel) or black (not burning all the fuel) Doesn't sound good, but hope that it is not serious.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
I wouldn't run it until you find out why your oil smells like gas. What color is your exhaust smoke Blue (burning oil with the fuel) or black (not burning all the fuel) Doesn't sound good, but hope that it is not serious.
The car is parked until I get this fixed. My exhaust smoke is invisible, I can't see any color at all. I wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't touch the inside of the exhaust tip.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:13 PM

Smart move.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:38 PM

If the smell wasn't in the oil until your gasket swap I'd suspect that, assuming that is all that has changed since then.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Your fuel pressure regulator might be opening too much.
I checked the line going from the FPR to the manifold, and it is not wet but the FPR end does small like gas. Does this mean the FPR diaphragm is ruptured?

Also I took a closer look at the stuff coming out the exhaust, and I am not even sure if it is oil or not. It is very black and kinda watery, but not very oily. I am also thinking that if that were oil, then the engine would also have to burn oil which would cause smoke out the pipes. There is no visible smoke coming out of mine at all. Could this be just normal exhaust byproducts mixing with moisture?

Max
Old 05-02-2005, 06:31 PM

the moisture in your tip is normal, everyone has that. Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. I worried once too!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:57 PM

Hell, there was one day I shot liquid water out my pipes. My friend was driving behind me and said when I hammered on it water came shooting out. I think it was more to do with condensation than combustion, but it still looked cool.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:52 PM

Well I just went and tested the FPR and the injectors. Let me know if I did it right:
I pulled off the vacuum line from the manifold to the FPR. Then my bro primed the fuel pump for 10 secs and released. No fuel came out of the FPR.
Then I pulled the fuel rails and injectors out of the manifold and my bro again primed the fuel pump for 10 secs and released. I watched the injectors for 30 secs or so and none of them dripped.

So I guess that rules out the injectors and FPR. Is there anything else that would cause gas in the oil other then a leak in the intake manifold gasket?

Max
Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 AM

Ok if you have used any kind of fuel adder lately it will make your oil smell like gas and it might evn come out kind of a little clumpy towards the bottom of the oil pan. As for the oil in the exhaust I with everybody else that it is most likely just carbon and moisture.