LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is this OK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 01:26 PM

Is this OK?

hey i have a 96 ss and just put on some new stuff for my car for christmas (mainly just bolt ons).. Anyways i took it to a isolated stretch of road and just wanted to test her out and when i did i got on it hard in first and second and then when I shifted into third it didn't quite go in and it made the usual gear griding sound because i popped the clutch out when i thought i had it in third but it wasn't.. Anyways i got a real bad vibration along with the sound of grinding in the gears but my car seems to run alright...My question is did i mess anything up by completely missing third and popping out the clutch...It seems to shift through all the gears now fine but has a slight vibration when you lett off the gas at around 50 or so..Thanks for all the help everyone because I'm wondering if I completely messed something up or not...
Old 12-28-2003, 01:32 PM

You probably did some damage to your 3rd gear syncro but I doubt that would cause a vibration. Your not the first or last to miss a gear, don't sweat it, nothing you can do about it.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:39 PM

Yea, what he said. I did the same thing but did a little more damage. I actually spun a main bearing! Don't worry though you would know if you did this! I'd say it was just a syncro and not too much you can do about it. Just don't do it again
Old 12-28-2003, 06:03 PM

Like said before your okay for missing the gear, it happens. As far as your vibration goes it could be a few things that came about from your having fun. One thing is that you could have damaged your u-joints and that could be were your vibration is coming from. Two other places could be your transmission mount could be on the way out or your torque arm bushing could be gone as well. Just check those few things and I am sure that you will find the source of your vibration problem. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:12 PM

thanks for all the help everyone!! I'm glad to know that I didn't mess up anything to badly b/c I don't have the money to get anything fixed ...I guess I need to work on my driving skills so that won't happen again..
Old 12-29-2003, 07:12 AM

I vote u-joints. Mine are about shot as well. Thats what happens when you start modding. Add power lose reliability. You'll probably be fine though. My tranny has gotten very noisy since I first got my Z. It happens....