LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

OK What is wrong?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:59 PM

OK What is wrong?!?!

I would first like to say that I have been reading peoples problems on here for over a year now so I kind of know a lot of issues and what causes them just from reading on here. I am stumped on this one though!

What the car is doing:
First of all it sounds like my tranny or clutch is making noises. Kind of whines a bit and once and a while a higher pitch sound. Don't think its the rear.
Second problem, as of three days ago I cannot get the RPMS over 3000. I was thinking it was the clutch acting up REAL bad but usually the rpms would go high because the clutch is slipping. The car gets loud when I floor it, kind of like that deep cold air intake groan but the car wont move a hair faster. It almost feels like my acceleration completly stops if I give it a lot of gas. So that brings me to an ignition problem? Or could it be the fuel pump?

When I got out of the car after a 15 minute drive home tonight I noticed the car was making more than the usual sounds of metal contracting. Some where around the cat area. I was also thinking this could be exaust related as it feels as if someone shoved a pineapple in my cars rear end!

I have no idea where to start. I think the first replies will be coil / opti related but I just have a feeling it is something different. My car is ticking a lot lately could some kind of internal engine damage cause this?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 PM

if you have a cat make sure its not clogged
Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 AM

Tt^
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM

Another vote for a clogged cat.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:48 PM

UPDATE! GRR NEED HELP FAST!!

Car is offically broke down at a gas station. I took a video of what the car is doing but I need to find a way to convert it from a mini dvd to a supported format and then post it.

Now the car WILL NOT accelerate at all. I cant get above 1400 rpms. The car is now also making a very loud WHINE sound. Kind of high pitched but not entirely. The sound is not audible at idle and the car idles fine. The second you hit the gas (or pull the throttle cable) the engine makes loud some what high pitched sound coming from somewhere around the intake and drivers side valve cover. I cant tell. What could this problem be? I am going to have the car towed but now I have no ride!!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 PM

Make that 3 votes for the clogged cat.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:57 PM

Are you serious?? A clogged cat can do that?!?! Where would the whine be coming from then??
Old 12-21-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by LenT1
Are you serious?? A clogged cat can do that?!?! Where would the whine be coming from then??
Lol, how many people have to say clogged cat before you check it out? Maybe it's not, but you need to rule it out.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 PM

i doubt its a clogged cat, idk, my cat broke the stuff inside loose and now its a rattling noise in it, but it never made a whining noise like the poster is talking about, i just removed it now and have nothing to worry about lol
Old 12-21-2006, 02:22 PM

The only reason I am asking to be sure is because I have a 5 mile walk back to my car to check the cat. The cat was not rattly and I kicked it a few times and didn't hear anything loose. I have a vid now check this post again in a few mins for the video. Please look at it and let me know what you think and if I should still check the cat before coming back for more info.

EDIT:
Video has been uploaded. It says it will not be publicly available until a moderate looks at it. I will see if I can find a different source to upload to in the mean time.

Last edited by LenT1; 12-21-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:30 PM

http://videos.camaroz28.com/video/7f...9e00ff1cbc.htm

That is the link but I dont know if you can view it yet.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by reamo04
i doubt its a clogged cat, idk, my cat broke the stuff inside loose and now its a rattling noise in it, but it never made a whining noise like the poster is talking about, i just removed it now and have nothing to worry about lol
A broken cat (chunks blowing out the exhaust, rattling) is not the same as a "clogged" cat, where the ceramic substrate overheats, melts and forms a somwhat solid mass, blocking exhaust flow. Maybe the "whine" it the exhaust escaping from the AIR check valves, since it can't flow through the cat. This is very easy to check by screwing a pressure gauge into the O2 sensor bung and running the engine.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM

I will try that. What would be considered an abnormal Pressure? Can I choose either 02 on the manifolds to put the pressure guage in?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:03 PM

Well I will leave in about 30 mins to check the cat problem. Does anyone else have any last minute suggestions on what the problem could be?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LenT1
I will try that. What would be considered an abnormal Pressure? Can I choose either 02 on the manifolds to put the pressure guage in?
Always hard to answer a question like this when you've never bothered to tell us the year of the car, so we can know how many cats you have. With a single cat, it won't matter which side you test, with dual cats you have to test at the cat you suspect if plugged.

Normal pressure might be 2-3psi. Just pulling the O2 sensor might relieve enough pressure to allow it to run better. If you start getting more than 5psi, you have a problem.

Why not add a "signature" so people will know the year of your car and can give you more accurate responses without having to guess?

Quick Reply: OK What is wrong?!?!