LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

One primary, number 5, glows red hot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by maverickmk
I'm not trying to be a *****, but you need to dig in there and try some of the suggestions made here, just bumping it to the top isn't going to fix it
Dont feel guilty - there are always those that ask for advice, then dont
follow the suggestions made by the experts out here, then ask again
if anyone thinks the problem is something the OP thinks it is. I think
that some folks want the "magical answer" without having to do any
real work.

Discovering the problem with a car is a process of elimination. The
general rule is to start with the small tests or the least expensive
replacement part and move on from there. There are many folks out
here that know the shortcuts, because they've traveled the road
before. The forums are designed by nature for some to share
information and for others to heed that information . . .

. . . but, unfortunately, some dont get it.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:31 PM

or some are full time college students and work 50+ hours a week and dont have time to tear there daily driver apart and guess whats wrong with it.

tomorrow im getting a buddys auto tap and reading injector pulse width.

one thing i know that shouldnt be is that at idle it pulls 14.8 % from bank one, and 11.8 % from bank 2 but at wide open it pulls 3.8 % from bank one and 7.8 % bank 2

and those are long term fuel trims.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:21 AM

This seems like the same type person that takes his vacuum apart cause it doesn't turn on instead of just looking at the plug to later find out it is not plugged in.
WTH would you look at injector pulses????????

It only has one O2 per side. If it changes injector pulses, it would do it for all 4 on a side and you only mentioned you have a problem with 1 cylinder.

It can't be an injector issue since you ruled that out when you checked the condition of the plug. If it were rich, the plug would have been black. If it were lean, it would not do what you are talking about. The only thing left is a bad exhaust valve.

I don't know if you are incredibly stupid or are over thinking the problem but you had simple (suggestive) solutions or at least trouble shooting tips that you seemed to ignore. If you don't want to use suggestions, don't ask the question in the first place.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
This seems like the same type person that takes his vacuum apart cause it doesn't turn on instead of just looking at the plug to later find out it is not plugged in.
WTH would you look at injector pulses????????

It only has one O2 per side. If it changes injector pulses, it would do it for all 4 on a side and you only mentioned you have a problem with 1 cylinder.

It can't be an injector issue since you ruled that out when you checked the condition of the plug. If it were rich, the plug would have been black. If it were lean, it would not do what you are talking about. The only thing left is a bad exhaust valve.

I don't know if you are incredibly stupid or are over thinking the problem but you had simple (suggestive) solutions or at least trouble shooting tips that you seemed to ignore. If you don't want to use suggestions, don't ask the question in the first place.

whoa whoa whoa **** head, those were my ideas and things that i was told could be wrong. It actaully turned out that the idle air was stuck shut and the engine was pulling fuel to get it to idle.

causing an extreme lean condition, and on top of that the only reason that primary showed it more is because its tucked under two others.

** I didnt ignore the solutions i just lack the time to go over every solution someone tells me on here.
And how are you going to sit here and say im stupid on the internet? Just because i dont have the time to sit here and try everything the 2 post heros suggest doesnt mean im an idiot.