LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Opinions concerning a 1995 Firebird Formula

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 06:45 PM

Question Opinions concerning a 1995 Firebird Formula

First of I want to apologize in advance, becasue posts like these probably pop up all of the time.

Here is the 411 on the car:
- Auto Trans
- Leather
- radio/cass.
- power package
- odom = 99128
- TA alloy wheels
- hard top
- recent work entails: major overhaul/tune-up, repaired blown head gasket, new radiator, new trans. mount, new battery/cables, new belts, new exhaust manifold

Ok, that covers about all I know on the car. The story is that the owner had brought the car in three separate times, and racked up the bill for all of the above work (Supposededly around $2200 for it all). He did not have the cash to pay the bill, so the shop bought the car from him for $3000. Now the shop is selling it for $5200. The body/interior appears to be in good condition and just requires some cleaning, waxing, etc.

My questions are as follows:
- What in general should i be warry about in checking into this car?
- What is the informed (as opposed to this newbies level of knowledge) opinion on this particular F- body?
- What should I expect out of this particular car with this amount of mileage?
- What, if anything else (and I know there is), else should I be considering on the vehicle? Note: I already have checked into insurance on the car.

Once again I apologize for the length of this post; any and all advise/warnings will be greatly appreciated.

- J
Old 12-05-2003, 06:53 PM

I think that's pretty high for what I've seen. For example, I got my Z28 in my signature with leather, Bose, chrome salad shooters, 100% original with 79k and excellent, unbeaten condition for only $6200 out the door. A neighbor this past summer was even selling his '93-'94? T/A, auto, 75k, hardtop, garaged condition, and again, 100% unmodded, original, condition for only $4200.

Honestly, if you take your time and keep looking something in less questionable condition will pop up at even a better price. Thousands of these cars are out there it's just a matter of waiting until the right one pops up. Your best bet is to find one privately owned with paperwork like service history or sales documents. That way it most likely could be garage kept, unmodded, 100% original, and in excellent mechanical shape.

Last edited by joecool72; 12-05-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:53 PM

- recent work entails: major overhaul/tune-up, repaired blown head gasket, new radiator, new trans. mount, new battery/cables, new belts, new exhaust manifold
All that for $2200 what type of overhaul? I would see if the optispark has been replaced if not who ever buys it will replace it... If it was a compleet rebuild then 5200 is a not to bad... I guess it depends on the shape of the car inside and out... Good luck
Old 12-05-2003, 06:58 PM

For one, it only has one belt. But other than that, I would find out what all the major overhaul included. Find out why it blew a head gasket. Why did it need a new exhaust manifold. Just little questions like that will help you decide. Or, if you know the answers, post them, and we'll give you our opinions.

Benji