LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opinions on my fuel problem needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 03:30 AM

opinions on my fuel problem needed

hey guys,

95 z28, stock fuel system

It started with the motor cutting out while cruising on the highway, it would restart without a problem. This was happening more and more until one day the car wouldn’t start back up. I left if over night, it was fine the next morning. A few mornings later it was dead and hasn’t started since (its been a few weeks).

When I turn the ignition to the on position the fuel pump primes the system like it should and I have correct fuel pressure. Then, at random, I hear a click sound and the pump will reprime the system. (I say at random because it seems to have a mind of its own, repriming itself with no obvious pattern) The fuel pressure holds steady except for a very short moment when I hear the click sound its drops and then comes right back up.

When I try to crank the motor, its seems to want to start but wont quite get there.

My best guess is a bad fuel pressure regulator, but I wanted a second option before I replaced it. thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 05:25 AM

Re: opinions on my fuel problem needed

Don't think you have a problem with the regulator. But, if the fuel pump is going in and out AND you hear a click, then the relay is dropping out. Probably a bad connection. Pull your dead pedal and have a look. Try testing the relay manually while your there.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:21 PM

I checked the relay. All the connections looked ok. I tried installing a new relay but that didnt help.

Ive been having another problem, maybe the two are related. My cooling fans will not turn on when the engine begins to get to hot. Once the temp guage was in the red and they still did not come on. I know the relays and connections are ok because the fans will come on if i uplug the MAF.

Im guessing the pcm is shot or i have some other problem with a group of wires.

Thoughts?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 AM

Couple of questions. Does it run long enough to figure out if your fuel mileage is crappy? Does the fans come on if you turn on the A/C? Look in the under hood fuse panel and tell us how many fan relays are plugged in.

As far as the fuel pump relay problem goes. Try having a look at 2 connectors that carry signal and ground to the relay. Behind the RH kick panel are 2 connectors. One is C220 and is a white 10 pin connector. Pull it and check the pins for the dk green/white wire. This is the signal wire from the PCM to the relay. The other connector to check is C210 and is a black 4 wire connector. Pull it and check the pins for the black/white wire which carrys ground to the relay. Some times, just pulling and reseating the connectors can repair the problem if they were the problem to begin with.