LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Opti Keeps EXPLODING =/

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 01:57 PM
Banned

Opti Keeps EXPLODING =/

wtf im on my 3rd opti in like a month this is B.S. it has NOTHING to do w/ any of the spark particles its just that the opti keeps EXPLODING! either i bust up the rotor to pieces or i break the screws that hold the bearing together im tryin to get this LTCC crap to work right so maybe i can chop the rotor OUT and i wont have to deal with it breakin up at 7K rpms nemore

neone have any ideas on this situation
Old 07-27-2003, 02:04 PM

Have 30,000 miles on my current opti ('95) style. Plenty ok 7,000 rpm spins on it too.

Dunno why your having such bad luck? Where are you buying these from? Are you getting GM replacements or from somewhere else?

At least I know who to call when mine does crap out though right? I bet you can be in and out in under 30 minutes by now?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NVMYZ28
Have 30,000 miles on my current opti ('95) style. Plenty ok 7,000 rpm spins on it too.

Dunno why your having such bad luck? Where are you buying these from? Are you getting GM replacements or from somewhere else?

At least I know who to call when mine does crap out though right? I bet you can be in and out in under 30 minutes by now?
lol whats up dude! i heard you were woosin out and sellin your car

neways these are just the ol free autozone replacements i know thats prolly not the best solution but i cant imagine paying for a new one each time they break it almost seems like theres TOO much vibration with the rotor itself cause when i take it apart, the side with the 8 lil nubs (where the rotor spins and sends the spark too) it seems like the rotor expands and gets caught up on the lil plastic pieces that are part of the cap! its like theres not enough clearance or somthing

like i said if i could get this LTCC to run right i could cut the rotor off and then i think it would cure the problem
Old 07-27-2003, 02:15 PM

Got a recent aftermarket cam (dowel pin maybe too long)?

Vent hoses hooked up correctly (if vented)?
Old 07-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by shoebox
Got a recent aftermarket cam (dowel pin maybe too long)?

Vent hoses hooked up correctly (if vented)?
YUP this is tru! i noticed that when i put my opti on it felt a lil too tight! like the dowel was too long and it was pushing againt the bearing too hard! and then screwing the opti down on it is what made it worse! but i have cut the dowel down since that happened and its still doing it so i dunno WTF
Old 07-27-2003, 02:41 PM

did you compare the dowel with the old cam to make sure its short enough even after you cut it down some? also i dont think the autozone replacements are helping the situation either. pretty soon they will stop giving you new opties.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:43 PM

Yup, I put it up for sale. But then again - pretty much EVERYTHING is for sale for the right price right? I havent put signs in it or anything - and dont plan on it.

If it sells for what I want - cool. If not - then cool

Just not into the car scene nearly as much as I used to be, but I still LOVE drivin the Z

Most likely it won't sell though, and I will just have to keep on drivin it

Anyhow, I cant imagine 3 opti's being flawed/f00ked from the factory - but it could happen i suppose.

I would suspect alignment of the opti. Maybe somehow the timing cover is not aligned correctly (doubtful) so the opti is no longer centered with your cam? (shot in the dark) Maybe timing cover is slightly malformed/warped or something?

I dont see how it can be a horsepower/rpm issue though.... gotta be either a flawed opti, or installation problem I bet if the opti is even slightly off center - and you start spinning that thing to 7,000 - it wouldnt take much to tweak it and start breakin junk
Old 07-27-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
YUP this is tru! i noticed that when i put my opti on it felt a lil too tight! like the dowel was too long and it was pushing againt the bearing too hard! and then screwing the opti down on it is what made it worse! but i have cut the dowel down since that happened and its still doing it so i dunno WTF
Mock it up with some clay, stick the opti on and see if the dowel is pushing on the drive mechansim.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:54 PM
Banned

see heres what i keep doing! this just happened yesterday this makes THREE OPTIS this month! either i blow up the rotor.. or i break the bearing! mostly the rotor i think breaking the bearing was due to the cam dowel being too long but i fixed that already! SO WTF?? why do they keep exploding? the only other person that ive seen with pics like mine is Brady96Z (Twinturbo) like i said befor if i could get this damn LTCC to work i could just chop the rotor off and hopefully be ok going that route just as brady did

BROKEN OPTI CAP
BROKEN OPTI ROTOR
Old 07-27-2003, 10:01 PM

If the dowel is too long, you will probably have trouble down the line even with the LTCC. It will still cause the shutter wheel to get out of shape.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:17 PM

That ain't broke, This is broke

Bob emailed me and said my LTCC worked fine on the bench. I may have another problem, although I don't have the foggiest Idea what it could be..
Old 07-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Banned

If the dowel is too long, you will probably have trouble down the line even with the LTCC. It will still cause the shutter wheel to get out of shape.
do u know what the specs are supposed to be of how long the dowel should be? i just checked mine with a dial caliper and it comes out to be 0.500"
Old 07-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Brady_96Z
That ain't broke, This is broke

Bob emailed me and said my LTCC worked fine on the bench. I may have another problem, although I don't have the foggiest Idea what it could be..
LMFAO hahah no sh*t huh you da man

do u think it might be your dowel also
Old 07-27-2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
do u know what the specs are supposed to be of how long the dowel should be? i just checked mine with a dial caliper and it comes out to be 0.500"
This is what I measured on mine:

The depth of the hole in the opti drive is ~.440. I measured the protrusion of the stock pin from the front of the stock cam gear to be ~.410.

Cam gears can be different and skew the readings, but like I said earlier, I would put some clay in there and actually see where the dowel is coming to. IMO, with the problems you are having, you must rule this out as a cause. Actually, you might be able to look at the back of the opti drive and see some markings from the pin.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:50 PM
Banned

This is what I measured on mine:

The depth of the hole in the opti drive is ~.440. I measured the protrusion of the stock pin from the front of the stock cam gear to be ~.410.

Cam gears can be different and skew the readings, but like I said earlier, I would put some clay in there and actually see where the dowel is coming to. IMO, with the problems you are having, you must rule this out as a cause. Actually, you might be able to look at the back of the opti drive and see some markings from the pin.
wait your sayin to RULE THIS OUT as being the problem? or do u mean i should definately look into this as being the cause? also im running the ED timing chain so i guess we couldnt compare out numbers like that...

Quick Reply: Opti Keeps EXPLODING =/