LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

opti spark questions and removing it (how should the car run with delteq)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:34 AM

opti spark questions and removing it (how should the car run with delteq)

okay I am pretty sure that my opti has crapped out. do these sound like opti related problems

1.Horrible rough start
2.MAJOR PERFORMANCE LOSS!!!!!!!!!!
3.8 m.p.g
4.bogging down

i was looking at the DELTEQ and i was wandering is the installation hard and do i have the change my coils and spark plugs at all.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Re: opti spark questions and removing it (how should the car run with delteq)

Those symptoms could be the result of many different ignition and fuel related problems. You need to systematically rule out each component - plugs, wires, coil, IC module and the Opti. Could be as simple as badly corroded plug wire terminals, or the Opti harness connector. Then there are fuel related issues to be checked.

And... the Delteq requires an Opti with a healthy optical sensor. It definitely requires coil replacement, because it comes with (or you need to buy seperately) 4 dual-tower waste-spark coils to replace the stock system. Same plugs could be used, but appears they need to be checked anyway.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 AM

well i got almost all my ignition stuff updated not too long ago (like 8 months)

i got new ngk spark plugs, cran coils, 409 race plug&wire (look at sig)

what fuel problems can it be, besied fuel filter and fuel pump

so i have to get new coils and how do i check if my car has a healty optical sensor.

thanks

im fixin to dump 2 More grand in my car and i need it running good first....because with all those mods i have on it the car is running like TOTAL CRAP NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(THE CAR USE TO RUN LIKE A BEAST)
Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Administrator

If the optical sensor is causing problems, you will find DTC 16 and 36 in the PCM. Have you ever had the PCM scanned?

Wires or plugs may be fairly new, but that doesn't rule out problems with burned wires, fouled plugs, etc. Reading the plugs may give you some insight on the cause of the problem. What about the IC Module? What about the injectors (plugged, dirty, leaking)? Have you ever checked the fuel pressure under all operating conditions?

Not saying it isn't the Opti, just saying that isn't the only possible cause of the problem... but if your set on replacing it or getting the Delteq, go for it.