LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Optispark Experts: breakdown questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM

Optispark Experts: breakdown questions

Haven't driven the car much since it threw a code 16 months ago, but with christmas coming up, I might get some cash to put into the car. I have the LTCC setup, so I'm not using the hi-res side of the opti. This Delphi opti has about 8k miles on it about 2k without the LTCC. I haven't pulled it yet, but a buddy of mine had a spare vented (mine is not vented) he gave to me in case i need to replace it. I know there are a few components to switch mine to venti, so I might not even use it. However, I took it apart and noticed a few things that might help me, but need some expertise before trying my next step.

Breaking down this vented opti here are my questions:
-I noticed there is a metal deflector plate protecting the optical sensor. Is this neccessary without the hi-side, or is a good idea to leave it in?
-I'm ditching the cap and rotor because I don't need them. Since the cap bolts will be too long now, i'm thinking of cutting the threads higher and cutting the excess length. I will use the plastic plate (with the wire harness) as the cap, and plastic-weld a cap over the center hole (where the rotor used to go through). Will this work? Anyone done it?
-Is there a part number to replace just the optical sensor?

Thanks,
James
Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Re: Optispark Experts: breakdown questions

Why not just switch the optical module from your buddy's unit to yours? That's all you need if your DTC 16 is correct, and active.

The vent system isn't really critical if all you are using is the optical cam position signals. The vent is there to remove the corrosive ozone that forms from the high voltage arcing at the rotor tip/cylinder button interface.

Why would you want to swap to a vented unit, and then delete the cap? Without the cap, it's as "vented" as it could possiby be. You still need to protect the optical module. Leave everything alone. Just pull the rotor.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:46 AM

Re: Optispark Experts: breakdown questions

So there is no difference in the optical sensor between a non-vented and vented? I'd like to eliminate the cap incase I have to replace this sensor again. I have to remove the supercharger assembly to get the opti cap off IIRC, and its a big pain in the butt.