LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Optispark problem. What's best solution in my case?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by flexus
And as far as i know they are the only moving / sliding pieces inside the unit so the rest of it shouldn't wear...right?
One of the weakest components in the Opti is the bearing. That's sitting in the base/back 1/2 of the Opti, along with the thin, spinning stainless steel optical disc and optical LED's that can be blinded by rust, and the optical module electronics that can be subject to heat stress. And the back 1/2 also contains the wire harness connector, where the seal rots and allows most of the moisture to enter.

This is a pic of the back 1/2 (a vented model, but not that much different than the unvented) from Mike Chaney's Opti Disection Page:

Old 11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by flexus
After many many service hours car has new plugs and wires, clean injectors, new fuel filter, runs pretty decent if i drive it calmly. When i want to floor it it starts loosing power, especially noticeable while in 2nd and 3rd gears, when it feels like it has power gaps while going up in the RPMs. After this, the car feels like it's running in 7 cylinders. In idle the engine shakes, bangs, feels bad, when i accelerate it bangs all the way up and feels powerless. This can only be cured by shutting down the engine for 5 minutes or so and starting again. It then goes back to normal and runs in all 8...
It's not an opti alone, because turning it off for 5 min wouldn't fix an opti problem.

Part of it could be a knock problem. Once the car picks up knock, it goes into "low-octane mode" and retards timing. Wouldn't cause the really bad idle that you describe, but it does make it lose a lot of power. It resets that when you restart the car.

So perhaps that plus some mechanical problem could explain your symptoms.

Last edited by sbs; 11-08-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:40 AM

Well, what you just explained there injureer is enough to convince me to buy the whole opti

Lately the car only starts after a lot of cranking, and if i rev it up it creates exhaust explosions... I've read on a site that these are most probably opti related too... Lately it hasn't gone to 7cylinder mode any more, but i've not gone past the 5k revs limit. On the way up to 5k it has split second power losses, feels shakey but in an uneven pattern, not like the 7cylinder more where it bangs all the way up regularly.

I'm pretty sure steve is right, there probably is something else wrong too, but taking it one step at a time might help me identify other problems easier.