LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Optispark protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:52 PM

I just found one at Harbor freight ($7 for a set of sockets). I looked everywhere and all I could find was E6 and above, which was also the case at sears in my area.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 PM

I would check autozone or advance auto parts. I think that's where I got mine
Old 02-08-2009, 05:03 AM

or the ozone
Old 02-20-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The high voltage in the cap/rotor section creates ozone. Ozone appears to cause the rust the eventually blinds the optical sensor. I wouldn't seal it up completely.... that will just insure maximum ozone concentration in the housing. GM added the "vent" system to remove the ozone, not moisture.

Find the article on the Corvette website that shows how to add a "vent" to the unvented Opti.
So your saying if you just run the optical portion, that it is ok to completely seal it up?

Also here are pics of me taking mine apart. This a GM unit by the way.

This is what I used to take the bolts off. I purchased this at local harbor freight/china mall I believe it is the E-4 socket that you need, if I remember correctly.
Name:  Picture326.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  179.4 KB

The yellow are the bolts.
Name:  Picture328.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  760.1 KB

At this point I had to carefully pry the opti apart. (I used a flathead screwdriver and twisted it in between certain areas, to seperate.) You can see that also seperated the plastic cap and rotor and the other white plastic portion.
Name:  Picture329.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  109.2 KB

Here is the vented cap removed.
Name:  Picture332.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  100.7 KB

Here is a pic of rotor after underneath after cap removal.

Name:  Picture333.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  97.5 KB

Here is my rotor after removal. Also I dont care what anybody says my screws were loctited from factory. There was residual amount of dried factory style loctite on bolts along with optical wheel where screws were removed. (It is always better to be safe than sorry, but I wanted to add what I found, because I have heard that they never get loctited from factory)
Name:  Picture335.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  111.1 KB

Here is removal of next portion after rotor.
Name:  Picture338.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  120.0 KB

This is a metal cover that comes off by hand.
Name:  Picture340.jpg
Size:  123.4 KB

Optical sensor and wheel. (note that the sensor is a mitisubishi sensor that I have heard is used in other vehicles.)
Name:  Picture344.jpg
Size:  111.7 KB

In this case I am replacing the rotor with a washer that will be drilled . (this is for LTCC coil conversion) I measured the thickness of rotor to try mimic that with a washer.
Name:  Picture345.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  92.8 KB

Last edited by Dave1980; 02-20-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:15 PM

I asked my mechanic if he could fab up some sort of vent system on my unvented opti while he had the front of my car all over his shop. He said he would check into it.

On a side note, are pittsburg tools good? There's a harbor freight around here and saw most of there tools are pittsburg and I didn't want to by a cheap husky like tool. Do they compare to craftsman?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by twcblackhand6970
I asked my mechanic if he could fab up some sort of vent system on my unvented opti while he had the front of my car all over his shop. He said he would check into it.

On a side note, are pittsburg tools good? There's a harbor freight around here and saw most of there tools are pittsburg and I didn't want to by a cheap husky like tool. Do they compare to craftsman?
Harbor freight is cheap crap usually. Craftsman has better but still sub par quality on a lot stuff now days also.

Harbor freight can be hit or miss. I have had things that lasted and would not die, that were a great deal. I have also had things that I plugged in and it died within minutes. The good thing about harbor freight is that you can get odd job tools cheap.

Last edited by Dave1980; 02-20-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dave1980
So your saying if you just run the optical portion, that it is ok to completely seal it up?

Also here are pics of me taking mine apart. This a GM unit by the way.

This is what I used to take the bolts off. I purchased this at local harbor freight/china mall I believe it is the E-4 socket that you need, if I remember correctly.

The yellow are the bolts.

At this point I had to carefully pry the opti apart. (I used a flathead screwdriver and twisted it in between certain areas, to seperate.) You can see that also seperated the plastic cap and rotor and the other white plastic portion.

Here is the vented cap removed.

Here is a pic of rotor after underneath after cap removal.

Here is my rotor after removal. Also I dont care what anybody says my screws were loctited from factory. There was residual amount of dried factory style loctite on bolts along with optical wheel where screws were removed. (It is always better to be safe than sorry, but I wanted to add what I found, because I have heard that they never get loctited from factory)

Here is removal of next portion after rotor.

This is a metal cover that comes off by hand.

Optical sensor and wheel. (note that the sensor is a mitisubishi sensor that I have heard is used in other vehicles.)

In this case I am replacing the rotor with a washer that will be drilled . (this is for LTCC coil conversion) I measured the thickness of rotor to try mimic that with a washer.
What size tool did you use to remove the rotor screws?

Thanks!
mike