LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ordered my Jet-Hots

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 06:57 AM

Thumbs up Ordered my Jet-Hots

I ordered them Monday...guy said they should be here in a few days. I was wondering how they were to install.My friend has a 2000 WS6 and when he put his SLP LT's on he had to unbolt the tranny.Did any of you had to do this for you Jet-Hots??

P.S.-If I would have told them i was a camaroz28 member would they have given me 20% off or is that just if you send them headers and have them coated?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 AM

Re: Ordered my Jet-Hots

Grats on ordering the headers. Your going to love them. Unfortunatl, they are a serious pain to install. Did have to jack up the motor/trans in all sorts of ways to get them to fit, it was rough. My buddy and I looked at the car when we were done and we said "Next time we take 2 hours, drop the motor/suspension/trans and do it the right way. I think my install took 22 hours But the end result is great. Depends on how much time you can have the car tied up for. If we could do it agian, we would drop the whole thing out the bottom and work on it with it right in front of us rather then snaking our arms beind everything and not tighting bolts all the way and cutting our selvs up. Upto you though. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:20 AM

I see you also have a SLP Loudmouth...how does it sound with the Jet-Hots. My Loudmouth sound pretty mean at like 1700-2100 RPM but after that seem kinda to lighten up. I'm hoping the Jet-Hots keep it deep all the way up to WOT. Im also just going to get a custom Y-pipe from my local shop.I heard they fit alittle better then like a Hooker Y-pipe or something
Old 08-11-2004, 07:52 AM

Its VERY loud. I have no cats, I have a 3" hooker Y-pipe (also jet hot coated) from jet hot. So the exhaust is pretty stright flowing, she sounds pretty mean aorund town. ONLY thing I dont like is on the highway, when you let off the gas on the highway, it sounds like a tractor trailer jake breaking, i got used to it. Do youself a favor and drop the motor/trans/suspension when you install the LT's. Will save you SOOO much time and cursing haha. Also, my "hooker" jet-hot Y-pipe bolted up 100% without any modifcations to my headers or slp loudmouth. When your under the car, it looks like the trans brace will NEVER let the Y-pipe sit agianst the collect of the header right. Loosen the motor mounts, put a pry bar between the header and under body of the car, and pry. This wont bend the header, it will torque the motor back so you can get the y-pipe in. When you normal everything up, the y-pipe is VERY nicley pressed agianst the trans brace and you get no vibration. FYI, the Jet-hot "hooker" y-pipe that they sell has a PRE MADE dent in the driver side portion of it to clear the trans brace. Its DEFINITLY worth it, and an awsome price. I THINK I paid $180 coated or something.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 AM

Feel free to use my install guide for LT's on dual cat cars:

http://www.zmydust.com/headers
Old 08-11-2004, 09:10 AM

I took off the starter, oil dipstick, and rolled the motor and they sliped right in. I have the hooker y-pipe also without cats and the loudmouth, sounds awsome with the cam too.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM

install isnt all that bad, im 18 andmy friend and I were able to get it done with limited tools and a couple days of intermittent work. Like people have said above dipstick has to go, starter came out, and we jacked the motor up up. Do yourself a favor and just do all the things everyone has told you right off the bat dont try and skip taking something off messing with it for 45 mins then realizing you should have just listened to the people that have done it before (I made this mistake with jacking the motor). Also wrap the headers in masking tape and put to 2 or 3 layers on the points that will hit on the way up, its a pain to take off once they are in but they come out scratchless. Theres a few picks of the install on the last page of my site in the sig if you want a few pic's.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:48 AM

they're awesome headers i have mine w/ a magnaflow catback and it sounds sick at wot....i got lucky and didn't have to move my engine at all..but i did mine w/ the trans off cause i was replacing my clutch at the time and it defintley made things alot easier...the best thing i did was put wooden dowels in the header/bolt holes to get it lined up while i threaded in the first few bolts...and i used stage 8 locking bolts...it took a lil longer cause i had to file the clips for the locks down one at a time..but it was worth it by far...haven't had to retighten em or had an exhaust leak yet
Old 08-14-2004, 06:53 PM

Thanks...did any of you guys use the emissions.I told the guy to send them but i'm pretty sure i wont use them.So since i'm not going to use them what did you guys plug the holes with?