LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 04:19 PM

Re: Out of ideas

So I removed the cat from the car and boy it sounds good .. ha ha but unfortunatly it still is not runninf correct and ..skips a beat if i were to be talking like a heart ...

here are some plug pictures

PLUG 8

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/3108/pict02033ni.jpg

PLUG 2

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/6389/pict02043qy.jpg

PLUG 1 and 3

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3359/pict02065if.jpg

Hope this helps , help me - thanks

P.S - Thank you to ThirdGC from the boards who came over today to try and decode my mystery. Thanks again.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 PM

Too me it sounds like your cat is clogged/bad. But a long shot might be to re-adjust your valves if they are too tight, but your headers would be glowing. But if you have the stock manifolds, i don't know if you could see a header glowing. Just a thought.

ZMAN
Old 07-09-2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZMAN Z28
Too me it sounds like your cat is clogged/bad. But a long shot might be to re-adjust your valves if they are too tight, but your headers would be glowing. But if you have the stock manifolds, i don't know if you could see a header glowing. Just a thought.

ZMAN

I had removed the cat from the equation and nothing got better

The valves are a possibility - i am using HOOKER 2060 Super comps. and they are not glowing at all.

Thanks a lot though and have a great night.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by tritonium
So I removed the cat from the car and boy it sounds good .. ha ha but unfortunatly it still is not runninf correct and ..skips a beat if i were to be talking like a heart ...

here are some plug pictures

PLUG 8

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/3108/pict02033ni.jpg

PLUG 2

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/6389/pict02043qy.jpg

PLUG 1 and 3

http://img327.imageshack.us/img327/3359/pict02065if.jpg

Hope this helps , help me - thanks

P.S - Thank you to ThirdGC from the boards who came over today to try and decode my mystery. Thanks again.

Hey, just saw this..

What injectors are you using.. Theo other plugs don't look too bad but the number 8 looks terrible! You might want to start by relashing the valves.. If that doesn't fix it you might need to look for a leaking injector.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
Hey, just saw this..

What injectors are you using.. Theo other plugs don't look too bad but the number 8 looks terrible! You might want to start by relashing the valves.. If that doesn't fix it you might need to look for a leaking injector.

Thanks for the reply Alvin

The injectors are brand new accel 30#'ers

I have checked for leaky injecotrs and none of them leak.

The fuel pressure gauge comes later today. I susspect that the Fuel pressure regulator has died on me so that fuel is getting into the #6 and *8 plug area. I think this is happening through the vacum line going from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. Hopefully it is as simple as replacing the FPR.

Last edited by tritonium; 07-13-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Thanks for the reply Alvin

The injectors are brand new accel 30#'ers

I have checked for leaky injecotrs and none of them leak.

The fuel pressure gauge comes later today. I susspect that the Fuel pressure regulator has died on me so that fuel is getting into the #6 and *8 plug area. I think this is happening through the vacum line going from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. Hopefully it is as simple as replacing the FPR.

It's even easier than that. If you suspect it's leaking why don't you apply a manual vacuum to it and see if you get fuel through the vacuum hose before you go buying parts.

One other experiment you can do is put the original injectors back in. Seeing as how I've read several bad reviews of Accel injectors.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:33 PM

UPDATE:

Problems:

With / without chip - cat glows red – and smells horrible.
With chip – car idles
Sometimes without chip - car will not idle
With / Without chip – Car has no power

When trying to connect to computer With or Without computer Can connect to Datamaster DA but no data shows up and “ Quiet PCM detected” comes up when I run the TEST COM function.

Have taken four spark plugs out – Passenger side of engine number 8 is black like it is running too rich. #2 appears to be light brown and running normal. On the other side – 1 and 3 are running very lean and are white.

What we have done:

-Tried to connect to PCM using two different cables sometimes can connect always no data.
- Disconnected fuel rails and cranked engine all in injectors apparently are firing.
- Disconnected cat from Y pipe – car runs the same as will cat on.
- Fuel pressure gauge installed on shrader valve – idle runs at 41 psi when vac line is disconnected from intake from FPR needle jumps to 48 or 49 then back to 41 when revving at 3000rpm fuel pressure drops to 37 or 38psi.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:15 PM

Sounds like the timing is way off.

Rich
Old 07-16-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Sounds like the timing is way off.

Rich

I agree

but how could that be ?

I put the opti on and everyone says it cant be off?

i dont get it - how can i be off time?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:31 PM

It is possible to get the Opti on incorrectly. The cam dowel is supposed to go in the one slot that's barely different from the other two. It won't seat quite right, but it has been done incorrectly. Obviously, it could be pig rich as well.

Rich
Old 07-16-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
It is possible to get the Opti on incorrectly. The cam dowel is supposed to go in the one slot that's barely different from the other two. It won't seat quite right, but it has been done incorrectly. Obviously, it could be pig rich as well.

Rich
I followed the LT1/ LT4 book very carefully when installing the opti - i will double check it if this fuel regulator does not do anything. I am willing to check anything at this point - thank you.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:23 PM

I followed the LT1/ LT4 book very carefully when installing the opti - i will double check it if this fuel regulator does not do anything. I am willing to check anything at this point - thank you.

Fuel pressure regulator is in and all fuel issues are gone so now i know it is a computer / timing issue. Anyone got a 1993 ECU ?

-Brad-
Old 07-16-2006, 06:17 PM

i keep trying stuff and now i tested the coil spark

it's only a yellow spark with a bit of blue - could this be the problem .

I took out the #1 spark plug and cranked that piston to the top of it's stroke and air pufed out and thats when the spark fired so i think the timing is good

Anyother ideas?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:27 PM

So our conclusions,

The fuel system is all right due to the good pressure readings and injectors pulsing with engine rpm -So Fuel - CHECK

We checked all the wires made SURE that they were all going the right place...CHECK

Took the knock sensor off - car would not run ( it's brand new) CHECK

So it's either the brand new optispark or the computer in our opinion - do we have any faults with these conclusions before i go spending 324234324 dollars on a 1993 ECM if i can find one.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Administrator

There was only one slot the opti could have fit into But thanks for the reply
You posted this somewhat upitty answer when Dave tried to help you. Are you aware that it is entirely possible to put the dowel pin in the wrong hole? And based on reading similar posts on this forum for the past 7 years, and suggesting that the Opti was installed wrong, it is actually installed wrong in at least 10% of the cases.

But it your positive you did it right.......

Quick Reply: Out of ideas