LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Overheating problem...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Overheating problem...any ideas?

Basically, my low coolant light came on. I know that these are problematic, so I checked the radiator and overflow tank...both seemed to be full.

I drove the car like this for several days, and the car ran fine. I was seeing normal operating tempatures on the highway, and during extended idles.

The other day, I noticed that coolant was leaking from the waterpump weep hole, and that I was losing coolant. I filled up the radiator, and overflow,just to hold me over until the weekend, when I will be able to investigate further.

So today, I'm driving, and I notice two things: 1. the heater wasn't coming on when it normally does. It seems to start blowing hot air after it hits 160...but it isn't even coming on now.

Secondly, the temp guage rushes up to about 230 degrees. As soon as the car starts going, the temperature RAPIDLY falls back to 170ish. Under extended load, the car seems to be fine. As soon as I idle, the temperature rushes up again.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it is most liely the thermostat, because of the heater problem :hmm:
Old 09-08-2004, 11:23 AM

Re: Overheating problem...any ideas?

Originally Posted by LT1Noob
The other day, I noticed that coolant was leaking from the waterpump weep hole, and that I was losing coolant. I filled up the radiator, and overflow,just to hold me over until the weekend, when I will be able to investigate further.
If you just filled up after noticing it leaking from the wp then you possibly have air bubbles in your lines. Open the bleeder screw from your thermostat housing and wait till a steady stream flows. Do the same with the heater hose bleeder screw. After you do that refill your radiator to the top. Keep your car running till you know your thermo has opened (radiator coolant level will drop) and fill up your radiator again. close radiator and you should be good. Oh and fix that wp asap.

How quickly is "rush" for you? Cause stock fans don't come on untill I believe 250+ While driving obviously air is going through you radiator so yeah, your engine will stay cool. I have a 160* thermo and stock programmed fan control, idling, the needle will pass the middle mark pretty quickly. Driving, never touches the 1/4 mark.

Last edited by Bryan Smith; 09-08-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:25 AM

So I definatley need a new waterpump, heh?

I was under the assumption that water was coming out of the wep hole because the thermostat wasn't opening up.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:30 AM

Well, I'm new to camaro's but not engines in general. I don't know what you are idling at, but i know that if and engine of your size idles to low, then it doesn't allow the waterpump to function correctly thus the problem when you are not moving. But like i said, i am new to camaros so you might not want to listen to me
Old 09-08-2004, 11:36 AM

if your waterpump is leaking you need a new one. A weep hole is a bearing relief hole, and is placed on water pumps as an early indicator of internal failure. Once a weep hole begins leaking, the damage inside is already done. Replace asap, and dont drive the car! ALso replace that tstat.