LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Overton cam, what type of heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 07:09 PM

Overton cam, what type of heads?

Just bought a used joe o. cam in the mid 220's and 230's range on a 110 lsa. I have ~20,000 on a rebuilt stock bottom end right now. Money is the issue when considering my wait time.

I want to know,

1.) would you stick with stock lt1 heads and send them off to LE?

2.) Send stock lt1 heads off to Eric Bradbury who works on Joe O cams?

Or wait way longer and buy lt4, trickflow, or afr 190-195, then wait even longer to have them ported by one of the above?

Last edited by ponyackn; 09-23-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:29 PM

Re: Overton cam, what type of heads?

Take into mind the stock LT1 heads flow pretty damn well.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:24 AM

Why don't you ask Joe O. what he recommends for that cam.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:28 AM

I didn't even think about that. I'm actually thinking about calling them up and getting their advice, especially when it comes down to tuning. Still, what do you guys over here think?
Old 09-24-2005, 03:26 PM

The cam you have is the same one that was sold with the LE1 heads when Joe O was grinding cams for llyod.

Its a good cam, I would get the LE1 heads with larger valves. You should see a good 380RWHP+ out of it with all the supporting parts.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Talk to Joe or ask what heads were run with the cam from the person who you bought it from.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Give Lloyd Elliot a call and see what he thinks...Im sure he wouldnt steer you wrong.

otherwise I say get some LE porting done so You can get that H/C animal together!!
Old 09-25-2005, 01:45 PM

I would pair that cam with LE2 heads for a nice street/strip car.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM

I made over 400rwhp with that cam and ported stock heads with stock size valves by Eric Bradby.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Quickshotkimber
I made over 400rwhp with that cam and ported stock heads with stock size valves by Eric Bradby.
Ahhhhhhh, just the man I was hoping to here from. I didn't want to mess up your thread over on ls1tech with my own questions. I just pm'ed joe o. over there with some questions. Did you also use the cam that I just bought, I'm just wondering if this cam has been whored around that's alright if it has been, I'm excited to use it either way. Will I be able to hit over 400 in an m6 with stock ported heads and mods in the sig?

Any suggestions on parts to get or not get, especially when it comes to the valvetrain? I see that Eric B. also provides springs so I may lean towards him seeing all the success that you guys have put down with the combo. If not, I'm sure I'll go with LE because I like how he does business. What about tuning? I'm way out in Cali so, not sure what to go with on the tune.

Thanks for all those who have replied.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ponyackn
Ahhhhhhh, just the man I was hoping to here from. I didn't want to mess up your thread over on ls1tech with my own questions. I just pm'ed joe o. over there with some questions. Did you also use the cam that I just bought, I'm just wondering if this cam has been whored around that's alright if it has been, I'm excited to use it either way. Will I be able to hit over 400 in an m6 with stock ported heads and mods in the sig?

Any suggestions on parts to get or not get, especially when it comes to the valvetrain? I see that Eric B. also provides springs so I may lean towards him seeing all the success that you guys have put down with the combo. If not, I'm sure I'll go with LE because I like how he does business. What about tuning? I'm way out in Cali so, not sure what to go with on the tune.

Thanks for all those who have replied.
LE heads also come with springs, so there goes that plan. Quickshot's car is a fine example of a well designed, and complete package. Doesn't seem that he skipped any parts, and he has reaped the benefits of that, alot of people seem to go all out on things and skip necessary parts. I don't think you can go wrong with either guy. Pick whoever you are more comfortable using, and fits your budget the best.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:20 PM

Indeed. I know LE provides great assembled parts with the heads as well. It seems as though both porters have different styles that are successful. I am figuring that since EB has worked this very cam before that this may be just as suitable, depending on whether availability with one or the other is reasonable.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:06 PM

I think I am running that same exact cam as you and i went with the LE1 heads. Yup its the cam Lloyd use to run in the old LE1 setups. I payed a little extra money to go with the beehive 918's instead of the 612's that come with the LE1 heads. I am still in the process of putting her back together. I am running all the supporting mods, I am interested what i will be putting to the wheels. Ill be sure to post my results. I look forward to seeing what you put down as well. -Matt
Old 09-25-2005, 05:58 PM

Eric's phone # is 804-966-9077
Joe's is 804-598-9261

I'm not sure on pricing or time. Give them a call.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:27 PM

I've got a similarly ground Joe Overton cam in my 383 and Eric did my heads which had already been CNCd/hand ported by John Lingenfelter many years ago. I made 400rwhp thru my A4 and I'm very happy the combo. The heads are LT1s with 2.00/1.56 valves previously done by LPE in 1995. Judging by the amount of fresh portwork I saw Eric found more air. Went to a local track Friday and managed 11.90s at 115 in 89 deg heat with 75% humidity (and 16x8s all around and both sway bars in on DRs). Still way more to go, but my old LPE set up never would've touched 11s in the heat and needed front skinnies, too. There's 11.50s here at 119 in the cool weather once I get used to driving it.

Talk to Joe. He'll be hard to get ahold of, but be patient, its worth it.

--Alan

Quick Reply: Overton cam, what type of heads?