LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

P1441

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 AM

P1441

Hello all. working on my 1996 z. I have had code p1441 for awhile. I definitely do not have the hoses reversed coming from the canister purge solenoid valve reversed. I cannot blow thru it, which would indicate it had carbon stuck in it if I could. The two molded GM hoses that come out of it have been discontinued, so I tried to build as free flowing as possible of replacements. I finally found the charcoal canister and the other valve behind the drivers rear tire. I didn't remove them but as much of them that I could see they looked fine, and possibly newer, like they had been replaced before. The ses light came back on today. I really figured my new and improved plumbing on the vacuum hoses would have been the end of it. I couldn't get to autozone before they closed to verify that it is still p1441, but assuming it still is, what do I try next?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:03 AM

Re: P1441

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/gen...p-code-761615/

There is tons of info and here is just one search I looked at.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Umm yes i know about that thread and the others. That's how i knew to check that the lines weren't reversed, that I couldnt blow thru it, that there were no kinks in the lines, and that my vapor canister didn't have a rock fly up while driving and put a big hole in it.

So lets try again: I'm ready to start throwing new parts at it. But which is the most likely culprit? Solenoid Valve? Vacuum Switch? Charcoal Canister? or Pressure Control Valve?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Administrator

First, verify the code is really P1441.

Since you have ruled out the hoses being reversed, and you have verified that it is not possible to blow through the purge solenoid when it is not powered, there are two other possibilities - there is a short in the electrical circuit, holding the solenoid open when its not supposed to be, or the switch is faulty.

Hook up a vacuum gauge to the switch (pull the hose off the side that comes from the canister - test vacuum at the switch nipple) and see if there is actually a vacuum at the switch when there is not supposed to be. To check the switch, if you have a vacuum source, the switch should be "closed" when no vacuum is present and "open" when there is a vacuum present.

Another remote possibility would be a vacuum developing in the fuel tank, but tht would be more complex.

http://shbox.com/1/1996_evap.jpg
Old 04-18-2012, 06:19 PM

Cool, thank you! I know for sure it is 1 code, still p1441. The little autozone reciept suggested the solenoid or the fuel tank pressure sensor. I have a vacuum gauge somewhere but Im not sure how many of the little fittings i can find. I almost ordered the canister, the switch, and the solenoid before work but i didnt get it finished. The switch was only $14. Do I check the switch on the car? With the car running? The flowchart in the service manual says alot of stuff about checking grounds and unplugging stuff from the computer. Lets hope it doesnt come to that!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Administrator

The engine has to be running, that's what generates the vacuum you are checking for. Simply pull the hose from the canister off the switch (near the "11" in the diagram), hook the gauge to the switch and see if there is a vacuum. Should not be. If there is a vacuum, unhook the harness connector from the purge solenoid. If the vacuum disappears there is a short in the harness.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 PM

Ok, got a chance to do this test today before work. Found a vacuum pump but hardly any fittings . Attached a random piece of hose at point 11. Couldn't get a good seal with what i had, so i held my finger over the hose. It tried to suck it right into the vacuum switch. I removed the electric fitting and it was still trying to suck my finger up. SO... im pretty stoked right now because if i understand correctly this verifies that all i should need is replace the $14 vacuum switch, correct?

I apologize for my hillbilly method and want to thank you again for walking me through it.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:21 PM

I just received the new vacuum switch and installed it. I noticed that the old one didn't have the little port on the bottom. I tested the new one the same way as the old one and it behaved the same. Vacuum @ idle, with or without electric. Still buttoned it up to drive it for a day or two and hope the code clears, but now I'm worried that it won't. What do I do next? Maybe I still need to replace purge solenoid?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 PM

Maybe I blew thru the old purge solenoid the wrong way or something?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Ps. Blew the long purge line.under the car out with my air compressor. A whole bunch of nothing came out
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM

All the EVAP codes I've seen in the past 5 years have all been leaking gas cap seals.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:25 PM

With the P1441, the error lies in the constant vacuum. So i can't see how problems like leaky gascaps anor even leaky charcoal canister could be the problem. If I understand this, i could either just buy another purge solenoid, or i could pull the purge solenoid and try blowing thru it again, or i could start invetigating the wiring. When you try to blow thru the purge solenoid, does it matter whether you blow thru the top or bottom hole? What about a vacuum? Does it matter trying pull a vacuum? When those purge solenoids go bad, what happens inside them? I may just try buying a new one.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 AM

Leave the line from the engine in the purge solenoid, remove the line to the tank, unplug the wiring connector, start the engine, us the vacuum at the port for the line from the tank? If yes, replace the solenoid
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

New solenoid installed. First drive cycle complete. Thanks guys. Will let yous know in a day or two if it shuts the ses light off.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Lights off, emissions passed, Big Brother off my back! Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: P1441